Teacher Seeking Chicken Help! (Turning Eggs/Cleanliness)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlover456, Jan 14, 2009.

1. chickenlover456

chickenlover456 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    I'd really love for the children to turn the eggs themselves. I've read that they need to wash thier hands thoroughly before doing so. Is there any other way I can minimize the risk of the egg's pores being clogged up from potencial oils and dirts?

Thanks so much!

2. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:Hello teacher!
    Don't worry about it too much. Just practice good safety, keep the bator away from drafty areas and germy areas and yu should be just fine. For example, my bators are in the deep jacuzzi bathtub in our master bath- have had good hatches, too!

how old are the students?
    Christina

3. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    I don't think I'd worry about it too much. Just have the kids lightly wash their hands.

I have a broody hatching some eggs today and you should see how filthy they are! Every time the hen leaves the nest she tracks mud and chicken poop back into the nestbox and onto the eggs.

Kathy in Texas

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yes, make sure the kids wash their hands. If you are super worried you can get some latex gloves for the kids to wear.

5. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

You could try hand sanitizer - it should work just fine.

6. bloomnbeauty

bloomnbeauty Delux Cluxs

Sep 16, 2008
    N Florida
    It is important to have the children wash up AFTER handling the eggs or chicks also. They should never be allowed to kiss the lil chickes either.

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I don't worry about what germs a kid can get from eggs. I worry more about what germs dirty little hands can pass to a growing embryo inside the eggs. Many bacteria can pass through the shell pores and set up housekeeping which kills the growing chicks. Every child comes froma different place and carries with them their own germs. Good handwashing skills is a must before and after.

As educational as it sounds to have children turn your eggs be prepared for the 'accidents'. Eggs break very easily and can't be fixed. Small hands that are not extremely careful can also move the egg in such as way as the embryo is mixed up inside and will die. More rough handling and too much handling of eggs results in poor hatches than most anything.

Unless you don't really count on the outcome to be very positive you would do best turning those eggs yourself and letting the children watch. Your eggs will need to be turned 3 - 5 times a day. You would probably benefit them even more if you invested in a $40 egg turner and kept the incubator closed and little hands off the eggs.

Near the end of an incubation period keeping the incubator closed is what sets the environment for a good hatching success. If you don't have much hatching experience your classroom activity can come to a very disappointing end.

Sorry to rain on your parade. I don't take hatching and the life of a chick very lightly. It is a huge responsibility to cultivate the embryo inside of an egg and have it hatch and birth a new life into this world. Careless mistakes happen too often amd even with adults many will tell you they messed up big time by not keeping their hands out of an incubator or messing around with the eggs too much. A life is a terrible thing to waste.

Good luck with your hatch and incubation choices.

8. tataharris

tataharris Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2007
    Calvin, Oklahoma
    I have hatched about 6 times now in my classroom - chickens, ducks, and one goose. I personally have never allowed the children to turn the eggs. There are just way too many things that could happen when the kids are handling the eggs. Even when children are trying really, really hard to be careful, accidents happen. The students in my class are ages 7-9. I have hand turned every one of my hatches and the students enjoy the experience and learn a lot from it even if they don't get to handle the eggs. I hope that everything goes well with your hatch!! Good luck!!

9. chickenlover456

chickenlover456 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    MissPrissy, I absolutely agree. The life of a growing embryo is precious. tataharris, experience from another teacher is perfect! as long as the kids get the same experience, I'll turn the eggs myself, or better yet, buy a Hova-Bator. Thanks so much everyone!!!

[​IMG]

10. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I would let the kids turn them also. Have let my grandkids, young as 3 yrs. None have broke an egg , but I have.

Have them wash after holding any chicks.

The lose of an egg, is worth the risk of the joy for the kids.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by