Teacher Seeking Chicken Help! (What to do with chicks after?)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlover456, Jan 14, 2009.

1. chickenlover456

chickenlover456 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    For a school project, we are hatching chicks! The children are very excited. My only delemma is what to do with the chicks after they are hatched. Unfortunatley, I myself cannot keep the little darlings for too long, maybe 2-4 months. I live in Silicon Valley, California and would love to know the name of a friendly hatchery where my chicks could be given to when they are 4-6 months old. Thanks so much!

2. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

If after you hatch, you place an ad in craigslist, I am sure that someone would take them off your hands. (and likely they'll come to you to come get them too!)

Not only that you can place an ad HERE at BYC and someone here would probably love to come take them off your hands. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  3. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    I don't think I would send them to a hatchery, but maybe a BYC member would get them. Or better yet send notes home with the kids asking if any of the parents want to adopt them when you are done.

4. chickenlover456

Jan 14, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks so much!

5. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    who you trying to fool you will keep them you will get addicted like us lol

6. chickenlover456

Jan 14, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Probably true, I adore chickens!
    [​IMG]

7. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

When the small kids do the incubation project here, they are asked to talk to their parents and see if they are allowed to bring one home. All the kids that parents have said yes, their names go in a hat and are drawn out, when the chicks are all gone, thats it!

8. MicMoo

MicMoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Quote:That's how I got my chickens. A school teacher hatched them as class project and after they were feathered out she listed them on CraigsList... then I drove about 120 miles round trip to pick them up [​IMG] . The ad said there was a cost, but when we met she just gave them to me for FREE. [​IMG]

edited by MicMoo to properly quote mrsengeseth

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  9. Fresh Eggs

Fresh Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Hi,

Post on craigslist, I live in the silicon valley too! My 26 chicks are coming at the end of this month, in two weeks.

10. chickenlover456

Jan 14, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Hopefully someday I'll be able to hatch and KEEP my own. I just know that I'll get attached to them. Chickens are wonderful animals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by