Teachers Pet Already???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SIMPleChick, Mar 14, 2011.

1. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    Ok...So being a brand spankin' new chicken girl, I have read many stories about how chicken lovers go on and on about how GREAT and SWEET chickens are... And I always wondered why people think that; of how chickens can become so sweet and part of a family....I think I have found out a little bit of why just now! I was making my late evening rounds of picking every one up and getting them used to being held and touched. I like to help preen their little baby feathers that are loose. So I get to my almost 4 week old Buff Orpington and a long story short, I ended up sitting on a stool, holding Babs for 15 minutes as she walked up and down my arms, preened my hair and then fell asleep in my hands, peeping and cooing softly. Ohhhh....It was the sweetest thing ever! That little creature feeling so secure with you, that it falls asleep right in your hands![​IMG]

Ok, so who else has their brand new teachers pet already!? I'd love to hear how you get to know your babies and handle them to get them docile hens. I'd appreciate it!!!

2. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    We just picked up six chicks from TSC, and one of the New Hampshire babies fell asleep against my daughters chest almost immediately after she picked her up. She carried her around for about fifteen minutes before I made her give it back. [​IMG]

The other five ran when she put her hand in their box.

3. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    Mine are 6 weeks old but from day one there was one bird..Annie Oklie...who jumped out of the brooder every time I had it open so she could sit on me. The brooder was in my sewing room and she got out and sat on my shoulder while I sewed more than once. She happens to be a runt too...she is a Rhode Island white...small and no tail. She is my little buddy!
    [​IMG] Yes I look like a hag....it was house work day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by