Teaching chicks to drink warm water.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cluckcluckluke, Oct 12, 2013.

1. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

I live in a hot/ tropical climate and in the Summer my hens water is for ever going warm.

Is their any way of teaching my flocks offspring to handle warm water? Or is it just not going to happen?

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    They will drink warm water just fine.

3. cluckcluckluke

I heard that chickens won't drink warm water though?

4. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Yeah I'd read that too Luke. Something about them not drinking warm water so that's why people put ice blocks in waterers.

5. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    I live in a hot humid area and mine have no problem drinking it. I have 3 waterers threw out the yard and one in the coop. It is hit or miss given the time of the day if the outside ones are shaded and of course the inside one is shaded. They rarely drink from the inside one once let out and I have seen them drinking from all three outside even at noon in full sun.

6. cluckcluckluke

O.k, thanks

Well what are all those thread on about when having to put ice bottles in the water etc?!?!?

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Ice is place in waterer or shallow pan so bird has a cooler place to stand during periods of extreme heat. Cooling effects of drinking water, even for you, come more from the process of evaporation as the water is used in sweating (you) or panting (chicken and dog).

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Chickens live wild in many tropical areas. No one puts ice in their water. None of them die of dehydration. We (humans) do it because we have a hard time separating what we like from what our animals need.

9. cluckcluckluke

Thanks everyone[​IMG]!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by