Teaching my chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SLKrug, Nov 2, 2014.

1. SLKrug

SLKrug New Egg

Sep 15, 2014
    A week ago I moved my 6 week old chicks a into the coop & I have no idea how to teach them to go into the "bedroom quarters" to sleep, where I have a heat lamp, and an extra supply of food and water. After trying to entice them with meal worms, I've taken to picking them each up and putting them in there. They keep huddling together underneath, where I just think it may be too cold for them.

Any suggestions?

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    WELCOME TO BYC!

You need to put them in the coop for an entire two days or so. At night put them on the roost. Chickens are creatures of routine so once they start sleeping in one area, they won't stop unless you train them otherwise.
    Good luck![​IMG]

3. SLKrug

SLKrug New Egg

Sep 15, 2014
    Thanks for the reply, and the welcome :)

Are you saying that I should just be patient and keep doing what I'm doing? They have been in the coop now for 7 nights, but I have had to move them there every night. They are getting easier about being put up in there though - they don't fuss quite so much & try to get out again like they did the first few nights.

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    You should put them on the roost every night until the go by themselves.

5. SLKrug

SLKrug New Egg

Sep 15, 2014
    Thank you :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    You said you had a heat lamp in there. Are you sure it isn't too warm for them to be comfortable in there? Is there space for them to get away from the lamp to cool off? At 6 weeks, they may not even need the heat lamp at all unless they haven't feathered out yet, or if it is really cold where you are. Even if they do still need supplemental heat, they don't need it to be more than 70-75 degrees at that age.

7. SLKrug

SLKrug New Egg

Sep 15, 2014
    I do have a heat lamp, but it's on a controller & I have the temp set to 61 at the moment. I'm in the South, but we had an early freeze this week so I felt like I had to use it. They seem to like it as they don't come out straight away in the morning when I open the door for them to go into the run.

8. Aphrael

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    Hmmm. Well that's certainly not the problem then. Sometimes chicks are just stubborn. [​IMG] In that case, as others have said, just use repetition. They'll catch on eventually.

9. SLKrug

SLKrug New Egg

Sep 15, 2014
    They finally did it. After 2 weeks of me having to put them up in the coop every night, they finally caught on and for the last 2 nights have gone in there themselves. It was a very happy day :)

10. Aphrael

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    [​IMG]That's great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by