Teaching my kids self-sufficiency (kind of)

shadow82399

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 14, 2014
New York
Hi there! I am new to raising chicks, I was brought up in small cities (my parents were raised the same way) and had to do A LOT of research to get started! Our family now lives in a fairly rural area and I am trying to teach my 3 children how to be somewhat self-sufficient and appreciate the work and food provided by others. So last year, we started a garden. It did incredibly well, especially for a first year garden. We decided to double the size of the garden this year (it will be about 10' x 20' this year) and start raising chicks for eggs. After asking just a few people, the advice started pouring in! So many people around me has chickens that I didn't even know of! We opted to try starting out with 6 pullets from TSC. We converted our extra large dog crate into a brooder and enjoyed watching the chicks grow and feather out (our dogs were not as excited, or at least not excited in the way we wanted them to be...). We spent the last 2 days building a chicken coop and run. It still needs nesting boxes and some outside "decor," but it is a suitable home for the chickens. We live in the northeast, and it has been 70+ degrees in the day for the last few days, but will be dipping back into the 30s later this week. The chickens are fully feathered, so hopefully they will will be adjusted to the new coop by the time the temperature starts dropping. They had started to really get on each others nerves, so they definitely needed the new space! Excited for this new adventure!

Very exciting! Have you signed up the kids for 4-h or FFA yet? I put my daughter in 4-h and she loves it. What kind of chickens did you get?

images

Welcome to BYC!

Becoming self sufficient is a great way to live and to also understand the circle of life in general. So I wish you all the best with these projects. Kelsie has left you with the link to the learning center. Lots of great reads on all aspects of keeping your new flock. Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

What are 4-h and FFA? Not sure what breed of chicken we have yet- they were just sexed pullets of mixed breeds. Their feathers came in bright white, hopefully I can get pictures up soon and someone can help!

welcome-byc.gif
Good luck with your poultry raising adventures, and I hope you find everything you need to know. Don't forget to take a look at BYC's very useful learning center (If you haven't already)! The learning center as well as the forum should answer your questions! Glad to have you here! See you around with the flock.

Back
Top Bottom