Teaching Pullets

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bellacoby, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Bellacoby

Bellacoby Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2013
    Maryland
    Hi All,

I have 3 pullets who are about 16-21 weeks old. Doing great so far! I have a question about night time. It is starting to get a little cold at night and they go up in the coop like normal. However, they just sit on the ledge in the doorway of the pop door (I have a small piece of wood to keep the bedding in) and don't go all the way in the coop and get on the easy access perch I have for them?? I for the past 4 nights, I have been trying to teach them by picking them up when they are sleepy and literally putting them on the roosting perch. Once on that, they stay all night until morning. Will they eventually get the idea? How long do I need to keep moving them manually on the perch? Any suggestions? Should I change my set up? They have jumped (its pretty low) on the perch during the day before so I know they can easily get on the perch.
    Looking for advice????

Thanks

Eric

2. MaddiesMum

MaddiesMum Chillin' With My Peeps

Just keep doing what you're doing and hopefully they'll get the hang of it sooner rather than later! I've found roosting to be fairly instinctual and they usually end up doing it either by themselves or along with the others. As long as they're secure in the coop then they should be safe, roosting or not! Good luck!

3. Bellacoby

Oct 5, 2013
    Maryland
    Thanks for the reply. Also, is it normal for them to go in the coop during the day to rest... I just went to check on them and all 3 are in the coop, on the perch resting... all by themselves?

Thanks

4. MaddiesMum

Strange! I haven't personally seen it myself, but as long as they seem to be in good health I wouldn't worry.

Things that would make me worry would be a lack of alertness (lethargy, eyes closed a lot), lack of appetite, pale wattle/comb, droopy wings and abnormal droppings. If you check up on your girls often and get to know them and their usual behaviors, it does not take long to realize if something is not right.

In relation to abnormal droppings, another thing to do is occasional poop checks around the run, as strange as they may sound! It can be one of the fastest ways to know if someone isn't doing well. Many chicken keepers refer to this chart at some point or another and I believe it is really important to know the differences!

http://chat.allotment.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

5. jtakacs

jtakacs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2013
    I have two adults and two pullets and a third of the time the adults are in the coop, a third of the time the pullets are there and a third of the time they're all outside.

I've noticed when the pullets are inside, the adult barred rock will go in and peck them out of the coop and take it over....

I'm assuming she's just setting the pecking order.

6. MaddiesMum

Haha sounds about right!

7. Bellacoby

Oct 5, 2013
    Maryland
    Thanks again for the advice!! They are now roosting all by themselves and they seem happy and healthy.

8. MaddiesMum

Awesome! I am so glad to hear that! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by