teaching young birds to coop? tips tricks and techniques?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by showbarnmom, Jan 27, 2013.

1. showbarnmom

showbarnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    After being in the coop for 2 weeks, we have started letting our 6 & 3 week old chicks out during the day. They come out of the coop and down their ramp wonderful. And during the day spend time in and out of the coop. However, at dusk, they are hit or miss on the easy scale of getting them back in the coop for predator lock down.

Tip, tricks, or techniques on how to teach them to coop at night? (Our current attack of action is to put out their chick grower feeders in the coop at night to train them to go in.) Any help? Am I wasting my time training them? Lol! They have me trained well :)

2. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    It's funny-I started the following routine at dusk: tapping a scoop I had filled with scratch and yelling "treat treat treat"-they learned to come running. When I needed to get them into their coop early-I tried this and threw the scratch into the coop-worked wonderfully. When I first started letting them out to free range-same thing! Its been wonderful-if I see a hawk or eagle over head-all I have to do is yell treat treat! and they all rush to the coop. I kinda feel like the pied piper lol I yell treat treat or get the blue scoop and they would follow me anywhere.
    As far as getting them in there otherwise, mine all went in to their roosts on their own as soon as it started getting dark.

3. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    You have to pick them up and put them in the coop every night until they start going in on their own. They will. I had to do this with mine. Some learn in a few days, some it might take a few weeks. Good luck.

4. showbarnmom

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    That's basically what we are doing lol

5. sawyerashton

sawyerashton Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2012
    South Louisiana
    My Coop
    I originally had a problems with them coming back out at night after I put them in. I had to lock them in the coop a few days, then I ran a night light into the coop and set it on a timer. This kept them from coming out after I put them in. After a few days, they started going in on their own with the night light. I left the light in for about 2 weeks and now they go in at 5:30 everyday and come out between 5 and 6:30 AM every morning.

6. aldarita

aldarita Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Brenham TX
    I was very lucky with my first flock of pullets this past May. I did not put them in the coop and lock them for a week, I just went there at sunset and literally had to catch every one of them and put them (9) in the coop every day for about 4 days, after that they went religiously to the coop every evening. I did have a night light in the coop which I have kept since then. I guess it is a matter of luck to get all your chickens trained to roost.

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Next time, during first day or so of allowing chicks to leave coop, make so they can only explore ramp area itself for a day or so to ensure they learn ramp and coop entrance thoroughly, then allow them to roam further. Ideally they will go back and forth between ramp and coop several times to get a feel for process.

8. showbarnmom

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    That's a really good tip. We hand placed them on the ramp several times. Now they will coop themselves. However, if it isn't truely sundown, they aren't ready to be in there. Lol. They like having a full day!

9. aldarita

aldarita Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Brenham TX
    My pullets went from the brooder to the coop when they were 4 weeks old, they did not roost in the roosting boxes but went to roost in the small spaces in the roof so I was successful in training them to get in the coop every evening but I did not know that you also have to train them to roost in the roosting boxes. I have read in this forum that you practically have to place them in the roost so they will know what it is for. I am getting some chicks this Spring so this time I plan to train them to roost in the roosting boxes. Anybody has any advise or opinions about this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by