Teal Eggers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NellaBean, Jul 28, 2010.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Oh come on, they have to exist right? I know people cross blue and dark brown to make the olive eggers..........and then will often cross the olive egger hens to dark brown again to darken the olive green eggs. What about going backwards? And crossing the olive eggers to blue eggers? Would it just lighten the green back down again? Or would you be able to go for more of a darker BLUE green?

I want a Teal Egger!

2. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Oh dear, THAT could hook me- it's my favorite color.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    bleh--I don't like muddy colours. although teal is better than olive. I want azure blue! Or maybe the purple of croad langshans. [​IMG]

4. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    I think it sounds intriguing...[​IMG]

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I'm trying to get purple- or some variant of it. Pink egg laying hens, and blue-egger roos. We should know soon what we're going to get. Mauve maybe? [​IMG]

I think you can get some kind of teal if you cross olive eggers back to an ameraucana roo. Ooo- the waiting is the hardest part!

6. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    My welsummer x EEs are only 4 months old, so this would be a project for next spring. But it does sound fun! Maybe we should form a gang in the spring and see what hatches. LOL

7. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Exactly what shade of teal are you looking for? Is this close?

[​IMG]

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Oh what a gorgeous egg!!!
    [​IMG]

9. thechickonthehill

thechickonthehill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Sadieville, KY
    Quote:Colby, I definitely think its a good idea for you to try this![​IMG] I will be your cheerleader. I already have a Faverolles color project planned for the spring so I know I won't have any space. Otherwise I would be tempted . . .

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Mine is kinda aqua from my pure Ameraucana's. Here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

As soon as my coop is finished, I'm going to cross this boy to both Ameraucana's and BCM's, maybe even my wellies. He is a first generation olive egger from Ruth's stock. I think he'll make gorgeous babies and it will be fun to see what the offspring lay color wise.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by