Teany tiny baby not growing and icky eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bengalcats1, May 13, 2011.

1. Bengalcats1

Bengalcats1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    This chick is eating and is in a cage with mama who wants to sit on it All the time, it's her first time being a mama...anyway the baby is as teany as can be and not growing but getting feathers. She/he eats but has kind of matted eyes, they get crusty and kind of hard to get that off. What can I give, antibiotics? The only thing I have on hand is clavamox and amoxi caps, how in the world would I ever dose for such a tiny thing? Im giving polyvisol already....any ideas? I'd hate for that mama to lose her only baby , she is So in Love....Oh the baby is prob about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks now and the other chicks hatched the same time with diff mamas tower over her

2. Bengalcats1

Bengalcats1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Oh and I do have an antibiotic eye drop fr:confused:om my cat, I wonder if I should put some in her eyes, they aren't that bad but get alittle crusted [​IMG]...any thoughts ?

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  3. Atomic Ranch

Atomic Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    El Cerrito, So Cal
    Argh, I'm dealing with the same type of thing I think. Very small for her age and with one VERY runny eye. I separated her from the others in case it's contagious, and am trying one treatment after another. Antibiotics (both systemic and topical), antibacterials, an antihistamine, and tonight Vetericyn (my aunt says it works miracles for horses). The thread discussing it is "Small chick runny puffy eye...".

If you have success with anything, please inform. I'll do the same. Good luck [​IMG]

4. Atomic Ranch

Atomic Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    El Cerrito, So Cal
    Quote:I've tried Blephamide and Ciprofoxacin, both "for" humans. Seems to help, but doesn't eradicate the problem. When mine's eye crusted shut 5 days ago, I very gently worked it open a bit with saline solution. Hasn't crusted since.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by