1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tebowed

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickened, Nov 3, 2011.

1. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
  2. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    Quote:The Tebow family are members of the same church I attend, on occasion. I have spent time around the whole family and they are a shining example of what everyone claims a Christian should be. I think the article spells it out, pretty clearly. There really is only one thing about Christianity, which makes those who find fault with it, uncomfortable, and it's not people who can't toe some imaginary line of goodness, but when someone does display the goodness, which the critics and scoffers demand, they just can't believe that it's possible.

3. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    I liked the article and it made some good points. I know that Tebow is a really nice person and that he will probably not make it as a pro quarterback. But what I have a problem with is not just limited to Tebow's outward and public expressions of his religious beliefs. It may just be my imagination, but I am an old guy who has followed sports for a long time. Other then relatively recently I do not remember football players, basketball players, baseball players, etc. continuosly cross themselves or do some other religious expression for every move they make. The come to the plate, thanks be to God, they make a free throw, thanks be to God, they catch a pass, thanks be to God and on and on and on. I respect their religious beliefs as much as I want mine to be respected, but when did religion become a public display. Not only in sports, but on our cars and large signs on our lawns, we proclaim our religion with some gesture or another. When did this start and why?? If my lawyer blessed himself every time he won a motion or did a good cross exam I would think he was nuts. If my doctor crossed hinself before he made the first cut, I would be very concerned. I certainly can see the want for a small silent prayer on some occasions, but the open display is getting a bit much.

So, I think that is part of the reason for the heckling of Tebow by the other players. Some of them just think it is out of place.

4. Royd

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    Quote:You forgot demanding that employers giving them five times a day to throw down a rug and bow to Mecca.
    And why do you think he won't make it as a pro quarterback? He won the Heisman, was nominated twice, as I recall, and won two national championships...He didn't get where he is, by being a dolt and a clutz.

5. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    I do not want to hijack this thread, but the pro playing field is littered with great college quarterbacks who could not make it in the NFL. Tebow was a great college quarterback (one of the best) but part of the reason for his success was he had a great team. He did not need a rifle arm because his line would let him clip his fingernails while he waited for someone to come into view. The truth is that he has a great work ethic and it will only take him so far and I think it has taken him as far as he can go. He reminds me of Ben Roethlisberger without an arm. Big Ben without an arm would have been gone long ago. Just picture him next to Johnny Unitas, either of the Manning boys, Tom Brady, etc. etc. He does not compare. And winning the Heisman has never been an automatic in the NFL.

6. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    For all i know he shouldnt even be eligble to play in the NFL. He more or less cheated his way into college. His mother and him moved into a rented apartment with the sole purpose of him playing at Nease High, which was out of their area. Leaving his older siblings with the father. Why do homeschooled HS children get to pick their HS ?

7. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    did not know he did that. I am not sure it is cheating but they could have used a bogus address and that may have been cheating. I think in Oregon if you pay the loss revenue you can go outside your district. We have a strong football program at Colton High and well funded and we allow homeschooled kids and foriegn exchange students the chance to play. Home schoolers pay taxes also.
    Quote:

8. Royd

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    Quote:Are you saying that homeschoolers shouldn't have a right to compete with their piers? Why should a kid who has been an athlete, from his first steps, be denied an opportunity to realize a life's calling, just because his parents recognize the general degradation in the state education system? Funny that all of tattooed, criminal acting thugs in pro sports came out of that system, and are celebrated by the media, who go out of their way to trash Tebow.

9. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I recently started my cable again and now can watch all the teams play so I will get to see what exactly he does.

It is nice for a change to have a role model that does not do the funky chicken in the end zone. In high school sports they are penalized for such behavior.

We have an NFL player that came from my high school, I actually picked berries with him.

10. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I think you hit the nail on the head "team" and it appears that Tebow realizes it is a team sport and the ones that critisize him are usually the ones that do a victory dance in the end zone like they did all the work. I always said the QB is the only one with a brain. [​IMG]
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by