Technical questions before I start building my coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kvmommy, May 15, 2011.

1. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    How thick should the subfloor be? and can OSB be used or does it have to be plywood?

I'm thinking of using foam sheathing for the walls...anyone have experience with this?

I couldn't find small enough windowns, so I bought shutters that open and close, and the shutters move up and down to let in light or shut. Do you think thats enough for CT winters? I know you need ventilation anyway.

And is 5x5 big enough for about 10-11 chickens?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. FarmerRob

FarmerRob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2007
    Georgia
  4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I would use plywood for the floor, due to the possibility of moisture. OSB doesn't usually take moisture all that well.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Don't use OSB, it will be a b*tch to clean and will not last very long even if primed and painted.

For something you'll be walking around on yourself, I'd use 3/4" exterior plywood (CDX); for a reach-in coop 1/2" is enough.

I'm thinking of using foam sheathing for the walls...anyone have experience with this?

Do you mean rigid foamboard insulation? It works well as insulation BUT needs to be covered with something hard/peckproof inside, typically people use 1/4" plywood but other options exist depending on what you can readily come by.

I couldn't find small enough windowns, so I bought shutters that open and close, and the shutters move up and down to let in light or shut. Do you think thats enough for CT winters?

Maybe. You'll need hardwarecloth secured over the opening to keep out friendly raccoons etc. If too much draft gets in you could always staple plastic over the opening for the cold part of the winter.

However IMO it is likely to be insufficient ventilation for summertime (unless they are biiiiiig huge shutters) and may well be not very optimal for wintertime either, depending on location of windows and location of roost etc.

And is 5x5 big enough for about 10-11 chickens?

I wouldn't do it myself, it's only 2.5 sq ft per hen indoors (plus, presumably, ample run) in a moderately coldish climate... but, it just depends what effect you're after, I guess, and how you feel about risks of cannibalism and extra sanitation/air-quality challenges.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat​

6. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    If you want to find small coop/shed windows, ebay has a great selection from a person in Carlisle, PA. Reasonable price and shipping rate is also good.

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

5x5 is awfully small for that many birds in an area that gets cold winters. 4 sq. ft. per bird is generally the minimum amount of indoor space recommended, and more is MUCH better. Personally, if you stay with a 5x5, I would reduce the amount of birds you're considering to half that number. Keep in mind that feeders and waterers take away from floor space too. And areas that seem roomy during the warm months (because the chickens are rarely inside except to roost at night and to lay eggs) quickly become quite crowded in winter time, when the birds spend quite a bit of time indoors...

8. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Quote:Can you provide a link?

9. colonel sander

colonel sander Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Vancouver, WA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by