technically day 18????????????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nicoletm24, Jul 29, 2010.

1. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    ok...so i put the eggs in the bator on the afternoon of the 12th...........so if i could that as day 1, this afternoon would technically be day 18???

or should i wait til tomorrow????? ugh...i'm getting stressed out. [​IMG]

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    You count day one 24 hours after you set so should be tomorrow for lock down. A few more days and you will have your babies [​IMG] It is so stressful hopefully they won't keep you waiting too long [​IMG] Good luck with your hatch hope it all goes well [​IMG]

3. nicoletm24

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    thank [​IMG]

the next 3 days are going to drive me mad! LOL

but i'm hoping i did everything the best i could this time. i'm hoping for 18 fuzzies [​IMG] [​IMG]

whats a good % for humidity to be at starting tomorrow?????????[​IMG]

4. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    About 75% thats what I try and get it to [​IMG]

5. nicoletm24

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    ok. i'm gonna have to try the sponge trick. i've struggled with keeping it above 35%

6. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    What kind of bator are you using??? I have an LG still air and one thing that helped me up the humidity (in addition to adding putting a sponge in there) was to put water in the base of the bator outside of the wells. As I read somewhere else on here, it's not the amount of water but the surface area. Since all of the electrical elements are on the top of the LG I figured it wouldn't hurt to put water anywhere I could in the bottom. It bumped my humidity up to about 75%. Also, I bought a syringe to add water after lockdown. I just pumped it into the wells and the sponge through a straw I stuck in the vent holes. I don't know if any of these tips will help in your case but maybe you can adapt them to your situation?

7. nicoletm24

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    I'm not sure what type of bator i have....don't have the box anymore. it is a still air one, that much i do know.
    heres a pic of my bator
    [​IMG]

i just added more water to another section of the bottom, and it's up to 45%. and i guess you're right, as long as it's not messing w/ anything electrical, i guess it doesn't matter how much or where you put it in the bottom.....

8. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Looks like you have an LG too... Yeah, it you're having trouble getting it up add a sponge or two and fill up as much of that bottom part as you need to. It really helped bump mine up. Once your chicks start hatching you'll probably see it jump up too. Mine went from 70 to 80 when the first ones started popping out this morning. A nice little helping hand for their later brothers and sisters [​IMG]

9. my4ladies

my4ladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    Nicole~ You sound like me!! I just posted this same question the other day too (yesterday???). I think we're both stressing together! From my post I discovered that I was counting a day behind. I put mine in at 3am, the morning of the 13th...so now I'm counting the 13th as day 1. Which means tomorrow is day 18!!!!! WOO-HOO!! I'm upping the humidity first thing in the morning. I'm super excited, but soooo on edge b/c I have one lonely bitty egg left in there.

What are you hatching? Mine is a little silkie. The rooster was white, and there were some blue and some white hens in the coop. I'm anxious to see what color this one will be!! Please post when you get your first pip!!!! So exciting!

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by