Teen chickens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Curlita, May 28, 2008.

1. Curlita

Curlita Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Lots of threads about baby chicks and grown chickens... anyone else have teen chicks? Mine are 4 weeks (two Australorps) and 3 months (two Faverolles). The older two are definitely going through their awkward gawky stage.

Anyone else fostering teen chickens?

2. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

We have some "funky chickens" too! Two are 4 weeks old and one is 5 weeks old. Not cute little fluffballs anymore, but we love them anyway! [​IMG]

3. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

I've got 53 teenagers. They're a hoot.

4. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    I have 10 6 1/2 week olds and they are a show stopper!! Some of the things they do are a real hoot. Wait til they start the chest bumping and the stare downs with each other, they love to get down and dirty with the dust baths and when one finds a good spot it becomes a 10 chick pile up. Have fun with them and they do get prettier, mine look pretty good now, starting to look like real chickens. Trudy [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Quote:I know what you mean. I really like my 7 week old California whites. They are mostly white with black specks. The roo is very handsome out the whites, he has these beautiful black spots.

6. Curlita

Curlita Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    53 teen chickens! Wow. Better than teen humans.

My faverolles are puzzling me... salmon faverolle chicks are yellow and salmon faverolle adults are cream colored... but mine are brown and black plumed at this point. Perhaps they aren't salmon? Dunno. Not sure how many transformations chickens go through before they are "done".

7. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    warning on teen roos:
    They will form a "gang" and pick out a scapegoat so be on the watch for this.

8. rebeccakeesee

rebeccakeesee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    I have 3 that are about 10 weeks. They are really funny when it gets cool out they try and sneakup on each other and surprise the next with a pounce and an evil i'm the boss look. One of my bigger girls gets in on the fun sometimes. [​IMG]

9. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    mine are 6 weeks and are still big babys

10. MiniDriver

MiniDriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I put my teens (6 week olds) out in the run this morning before work. It's still too cold at night, but they're going outside during they day now, and love every minute of it.

I put them in a basket to take them from their brooder (a converted dog crate in a spare bedroom) to the run in the back yard. They're very docile in the basket in the morning, but they don't like to go back in it to go into the house. Soon, babies, it will be warm enough for you to sleep outside!

They are so fun to watch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by