"teen" roo trying to mate with my hand...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LaSombra, May 23, 2010.

1. LaSombra

LaSombra Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Washington
    yep. He keeps on grabbing my hand hard and it hurts! At first, I thought it was aggressive behavior, but doubted it because it wasn't like what a normally aggressive roo does. Also, he was pretty much hand-raised and loves me. The rest of the chickens in that coop are about a year old. There is one pullet about 3 weeks older than him, but she's rather skittish because she was alone until this roo was hatched.

Anyway, I finally figured out that what he was doing was trying to mate with my hand when he started to shimmy like a roo does when mounted on the hen. It was funny, but really, I don't want him to keep doing this to me. I even tried to put some of the hens in front of him, but I don't think he knows what to do [​IMG]

I hope he figures it out soon enough. I've got cuts all over my poor hands [​IMG]

anyone ever experienced this or have any advice?

2. tigerkitten45

tigerkitten45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    NH
    good thick pair of work gloves? [​IMG]

3. LaSombra

May 28, 2009
    Washington
    Quote:LOL, might be a plan. If I had feathers for him to hold on to like the girls, instead of just skin, it wouldn't be so bad...

4. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I used to have a cockatiel that did that. He sees you as his mate lol

5. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Don't tell your spouse. They will tease. I had a parrot that kept doing a little dance and making really weird noises at me. Anyway mentioned it to a buddy who raises parrots and she said they do that to attract a mate. Said it right in front of the hubby. Tease tease tease. Then we got a dog that has the hots for me. Moans at my feet and growls at the hubby when he tried to get near. " great love you now have 2 boyfriends" tease tease tease.

I would just keep putting pretty little hens in front of him and maybe a little mood music in the coop at night. Good luck

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    This is a behavior that should be nipped in the bud fefore it escalates. "Pet" roosters very frequently become human aggressive because all boundaries have been removed. The best and safest roosters are those with respect for humans- not love!

7. LaSombra

May 28, 2009
    Washington
    Quote:Yeah, I know what you mean. I need him to take his hormones out on the girls, not me. There is an adult rooster in there with him who he can maybe learn from. He's only been crowing the last couple days now... and just started this biting thing a couple days before that so it hasn't escalated yet. He was chasing the girls this afternoon when I went out there and didn't come after me. I've been "pecking" his head with my finger each time he tries to get frisky with me so maybe he'll think twice.

8. OccamsTazer

OccamsTazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    That could get nasty as he gets older, probably want to nip it in the bud now.

I had a very sweet rooster who would sometimes get uppity. I always hated disciplining him, but it never made him fear me, if that's what you're worried about. [​IMG]

9. MiniBeesKnees

MiniBeesKnees Chillin' With My Peeps

I suspect his hormones are raging and you are the 'hen' he can catch. [​IMG]

10. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    ahh, the spring time has love in the air!!!!! My roo was a horrible love struck teen, he used to air-hump towards me then rub his butt on my legs LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by