Teenage Aggressive rooster. Success story

Sublight

Songster
5 Years
Jun 2, 2016
Pensacola, FL
I have a young Astralorp rooster, that was starting to behave aggressively towards my family.

I started by picking him up and carrying him around in one arm, while i practiced my Spanish on him for 15 minutes or so. (Im a cybersecurity student)
Then we started sitting on the ground and hand feeding them scratch 1-2 times a day.

I also raise black soldier flies, so i will pick him up first, and give him 5-6 black soldier fly larvae, one by one before i feed the others.

My plan was to make him excited to see me, and for him to see me/us as a food source rather then something he needs to challenge.
So far he has quit all aggressive behavior. I know he is young, and is a tame breed of chicken, but this has worked so far.

You guys probably have other stories, but i wanted to share my success in the hopes that it helps one of you guys/gals.

Yay that’s great congrats!! Friendly roosters are the best! :bun roosters are so spunky and energetic!
Our last one got so mean, we had to put him down. It was sad, we hatched him from a egg.
We named him "Bitey" because he would peck at us from a early age. I think we encouraged his aggression by doing so. It was our mistake.

Our last one got so mean, we had to put him down. It was sad, we hatched him from a egg.
We named him "Bitey" because he would peck at us from a early age. I think we encouraged his aggression by doing so. It was our mistake.
It’s a hit or miss with roosters sometimes, I’m glad you’ve managed to get a friendly little guy now. :)

How old is he?
How long since you started his 'training'?
12 weeks old.
His 'training' only started about 4 days ago.

It is quite early, but the effect was really quick.

I would also say we are taking other steps to avoid confrontation.
Our plan is two fold.

1. We want him to be excited to see us when we walk out. Instead of seeing someone he needs to challenge, he is excited to see us hoping for a treat.

2. We are careful not to walk directly at him, and try to not to look like we are challenging him.

At 12 weeks and only 4 days of training, you have a long ways to go before any success is realized. Although, it is a good start that he has backed off his previous behavior. Since his hormones have barely begun to flow, you have to see what he turns out to be - good or aggressive- as he approaches one year old. Hopefully, he settles into his role as flock leader and not human aggressor as you are hoping he will.

good luck on training him.

We are careful not to walk directly at him, and try to not to look like we are challenging him.
Actually, it's best to walk straight at him and make him move out of your way.

At 12 weeks and only 4 days of training, you have a long ways to go before any success is realized.
Indeed.....the hormones haven't even started flowing yet.

Back
Top Bottom