Teenage Chicken

amyquinn8625

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2018
Young chicken fell out of the coop this morning and can't walk. She is alert, taking food and water. I believe the injury happened overnight. Is it possible she pulled a muscle? Any suggests? Recommendations? I don't think it's broken.

Young chicken fell out of the coop this morning and can't walk. She is alert, taking food and water. I believe the injury happened overnight. Is it possible she pulled a muscle? Any suggests? Recommendations? I don't think it's broken.
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry your bird is unwell.

Can you feel any heat or swelling in the legs or feet?

What is the feed routine including treats and supplements, and her breed? Was she vaccinated against Marek's?

Accidents happen, and sometimes when being chased by another chickens they can hurt themselves trying to get away. Occasionally one can fall off a roost. Do you see any obvious swelling, green bruising of skin, or redness? Can she stand if you lift her. Is one leg weaker than the other? Does she hold a leg up? Any curling under of the toes? I would place her in a pen or wire dog crate with food and water placed near to her. If she cannot stand, a chicken sling chair might be useful. Here is a link for chicken slings with good pictures and a video in posts 5, 11, and 12:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Back
Top Bottom