Teenage Chickens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ronniegirl, Apr 20, 2012.

1. ronniegirl

ronniegirl New Egg

Mar 10, 2012
    My chickens are about 4 weeks old now. They are in a spare bathroom, in a large box - about 3x3x3. They are flying out everywhere - won't stay in the box anymore. I was covering it with an old screen, but didn't know if they needed to "stretch their wings" or not. Should I continue to cover the box or should I let them "free range" in the bathroom and then give it a major cleaning in another few weeks. It's pretty poopy with them all over the place.

2. Indigosands

Indigosands Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    Yucca Valley, CA
    I have mine in a box about the same size. I take them outdoors for about an hour a day in late morning (supervised free range, not in their box) and then in the evening I toss them something to scratch. Keeps them entertained, happy and nobody gets restless or pecky. They do get bored being in the box all the time.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  3. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    You can start letting them outside for a bit each day, with supervision. I actually put mine in the coop when they were about four and a half weeks old, without a heat lamp, and they have been fine.

4. chickmom1304

chickmom1304 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    SE Wisconsin
    Totally new at this, but put my 3 week olds out in closed coop with heat lamp. They are just fine. Temps managed with lamp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by