teenage chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by swissdreamer, Feb 19, 2013.

1. swissdreamer

swissdreamer New Egg

Feb 19, 2013
    Dear chicken community :)

I live in a neighborhood where chickens have been roaming the streets freely for decades. I just recently bought a house here and am getting a crash course on how to enjoy and live with chickens :) One question that I have right now is that how warm do teenage chickens need to be? The thing is, there were 4 little 6-week old chickens whose mom got killed two nights ago. I noticed it yesterday morning and was able to catch them by the evening. They slept in a box inside my house for this past night. Today I gave them to my neighbor who has a chicken coop (with one chicken in it and a few ringneck doves). We live in Phoenix, where temps are currently around 50-70 degrees, however we have another cold snap coming our way. Tomorrow evening might drop into the low 30s. I am wondering if I should install a heating lamp for them. The coop where they are in now is just dirt floor, with some perches, some wood to sit on, as well as a bit of straw. Again, these chicks are I think about 6 weeks old, so they have lost their yellow color and have brown feathers now.

Also, I would like to know if it would be ok to release them again back to their greater chicken community and how old they should be to do that.

Any input and help would be greatly appreciated.

2. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    I would for sure add a brooder lamp in an area that they can huddle near it or move away for less heat. They will some more time to get fully feathered and protected from the cold. It is nice of you to rescue them!!

3. ben is a terror

ben is a terror Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    You WILL fall in love them, I would be concerned that they might get pecked on when they go out into the big world. I would keep them till they are bigger

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by