Teenage daughters. Arrrghhh!!!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Chicken Lil, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Chicken Lil

Chicken Lil Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    My youngerst DD is fifteen and driving me nuts. She can't stand anything I do. It seems I am a total embarressment to have around. And worst is she can't stand my chickens. She thinks they are gross, even though I keep the hen house and coop clean, she still thinks they are dirty.

Now she is really upset with me because I have a broody Silkie that I had to put in a cage. Unfortunately I can not fit the cage in the hen house, and our garage is damp and cold, so I brought her in the house.

Now my DD is ranting that she can not have any friends over because it is TOOO disgusting that we have a chicken in the house.

You know I'm not really sure this girl is my daughter sometimes. She is way too concerned about what others think about us, and I for one have never really cared about others opinions of me.

My eldest DD is much more laid back, and she just thinks I'm eccentric, which she likes.

Anyway, I guess I'm just ranting cause I'm sick of her complaining about my chickens. Does anyone else have this problem?

2. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Next time you need to go to the school make sure you go in p.j.'s and have your hair in rollers, heck keep the bathrobe and slippers on too...That should cure any 'chicken embarrassment' she might have... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I love embarrassing my kids...but now they expect it so it's not as much fun anymore...Our daughters are 13 and 7 (in 7th and 2nd grade)...

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i'd ask her the last time she paid the mortgage? its YOUR house...not hers...really...ask her if she would like you to help her pack?? [​IMG]

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Nah, don't worry it, it's what she's supposed to be doing at that age. Parents are embarrassing and the kids actually have contests to see whose parents are the worst. She probably gets major points for your chicken in the house. I imagine she won't bring friends over because they might think it's too cool that her mom allows a chicken in the house when theirs won't buy them a cat or dog or hamster etc. Take some of what she says with a grain of salt, take the rest with a shaker of salt! Smile, tell her you don't mind her friends not coming over at all, that way you don't have to entertain or have snacks,, and you have her all to yourself!! Her friends will show up soon,, trust me.

5. Chicken Lil

Nov 14, 2008
    My husband did ask her if she would like to pay the mortgage? If not she should stop kevetching.

As for embarrassing her it is just no fun with her, cause she gets so pissy.

Our eldest always took it in stide, I think she liked it actually. When my now 20 year old was in 8th grade my DH and I pulled a good one on her that halloween. We went to pick her up from school and I was dressed like Elvira and he was dressed like Pocohantas, in an indian dress with braids and fake boobs. His mustache just made it over the top. Boy did we embarrass the heck out of her. Now that she is 20 she brags about what a wacky family we have.

However, my younger DD is totally different. She does not find anything we do funny. She is almost pompous with us, like she is so much better than us. Sometimes I just don't know how to bring this girl down to earth.

Mostly I find her attitude hurtful.

6. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    [​IMG]

I don't really know what to say [​IMG]
    I think I made my mom get into more things like gardening and stuff. We like to do stuff together, and I was the one that convinced her we should get chickens.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  7. Chicken Lil

Nov 14, 2008
    I wish my DD wanted to do stuff with me. I would try whatever she wanted, but she just looks at me like I have two heads.

8. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    Quit wearin shoes and chew straw when you drive her anywhere.

Or start billing her for everything she does, or you do for her.

I agree with WoW, it's normal. Not that it makes it any less hurtful.

She'll grow out of it in a couple of years.

Go to the library and get a book in raising Emus or something like that...then she'll be grateful it's just chickens!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  9. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    My son is like that. He is totally embarrassed that I have two chickens, and 3 brooders in our house. I just tell him to suck it up and get over it. Yes he calls me weird, but most of his girl friends think it's cute, and wants to hold my pets. My son hates my animal. Have you tried getting her interested in your birds. If that doesn't work, try to get some of her friends interested in them.

10. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I tell both my kids that the day they start paying all the billsin my house is the day I stop and seriously consider what they are going off about... then ignore it.

Until that day i'll continue to just ignore it without any consideration.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by