1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Teenage ducks??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by anthemfamily, Apr 20, 2016.

1. anthemfamily

anthemfamily New Egg

Apr 19, 2016
    Do ducks go through puberty? I swear my babies are stomping around rolling their eyes at me! Every day after work we have play time. I have been giving them a handful of thawed peas while we romp around. Today I forgot to thaw and decided to give them some super ripe cantaloupe cut into tiny pieces. They turned up their little beaks and waddled into their house. They are now giving me the silent treatment. Am I insane?

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    no they are just being sassy and picky. what kind of ducks do you have, I just got 2 cayugas today plus my chickens

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Ducks can be that way.

They have become accustomed to the peas. I realized it might have been better for me to offer them a wider variety of treats early on, because they are extremely slow to appreciate new treats.

For them, it's peas and lettuce, and after a while. they have caught on that dry cat kibble is fun, too.

4. ClaudiaKat

ClaudiaKat New Egg

Mar 9, 2016
    North Carolina
    Yes! They must because I feel as if I'm going through the same thing with my Pekin girls right now. They are constantly quacking which leads me to believe there is some serious coop gossip going on, lol :D I have yet to try Peas with my girls, maybe I'll try some tomorrow.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Remember that before giving treats, a little bit of chick grit or clean sand (like, a pinch per duckling) for a few days so that they can "chew."

6. cayugaducklady

cayugaducklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2015
    New England USA
    Not insane :) All it takes is for one brave soul to try then they'll give it a whirl.

7. anthemfamily

anthemfamily New Egg

Apr 19, 2016
    They love watermelon, that's why I thought the cantaloupe would go over well. They have accepted corn. This weekend I was thinking about minnows in their pool. Is 6 weeks old enough?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by