'teenager' too young to mate with older hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by oliviad51, Aug 14, 2010.

1. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    I have a male teenager that is 3 months, 14 days old. The other day, I saw him on one of our older hens. Is this too young?

I also saw one of our older roosters on one of our female teenagers.

2. Casey3043

Casey3043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens don't know anything about statutory rape laws. A roo will mate with anything that allows him to.

3. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Is this safe? It just seems a little strange to me..

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    It's safe unless someone is getting hurt. As far as strange- cannibalism seems strange. As does the pecking order. As does roos fighting to the death for breeding rights. There are lots of strange things about chickens from the human perspective. They think we are strange for bathing in water instead of dirt.

It's all about perspective.

5. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    What breed teenager Roo are you talking about? Different breeds mature at different ages. I am surprised that a hen would let a young cockeral mate her. Mine wouldn't. More than 1 young Cockeral that has tried has been hen flogged around here.

As for letting a teen pullet be mated by a mature Roo. I don't let that happen. I keep my teens separate from the adults until they are almost at point of lay. I just don't believe a pullet should be breed, when she isn't laying yet. Actually, I don't like to breed any younger than 1 year old. I like strong healthy chicks that are problem free.

If you have enough hens for your mature Roo that shouldn't normally be a problem, they prefer to mate the older mature hens and will waite for the youngsters to mature and settle down abit. It might be that your hen numbers are to low for the multiple Roos that you have.

And yes, some Cockerals of some breeds of chicken are fertile at 31/2 months.

6. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Thanks all for the replies. I do have too many roosters. 5 roos, 26 hens. The hen that the teenager mounted wasn't paying attention and tried to get him off, but couldn't. This teenager is a mutt. I free range all of my chickens, so I'm not sure what exactly it is. I'm thinking its half australorp and half dominique. It is completely black with white tips on the wings.

The teenagers and adults sleep in different coops. I am working on a barn to keep them apart.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    That's a tad young, but obviously, the hormones have kicked in.

Youngsters are a little rough and most older hens will teach them manners..... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by