Teenagers and Cars

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by BantyHugger, Apr 28, 2009.

1. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    I will start by saying I am a teenager. I am also not the kind who does drugs, smokes, drinks, etc. I feel i am very responsible and should be able to spend some of my savings on a truck. I can't rely on my parents forever and they work a lot now so getting places is up to me. I also would like to say that none of the accidents my friends have had were actually their faults.

I'm just wondering what you guys think about teen drivers? Would you let your kids have a car? If so under what circumstances? (other teen opinions are welcome too)

Please try to keep all comments and views civil so this does not get shut down.
    Thanks,
    Banty

2. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Absolutely, my ds could have a car at 16, if he shows me he is responsible with good grades, helping fill the gas tank and doing his chores. Also by not losing my trust, he is 14 and definitely on the right track. BUT I would not turn him lose to do as he pleases, he would be strictly monitored.

3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I am also a Teenager. I get my license at the end of May. I already have my own car, though my parents paid for it. It was very cheep for a used car.

I first have to say that I am like you BantyHugger, no drugs, no smoking, good grades, etc. etc. I do have my good and bad things when it comes to driving but that all comes with experience. Otherwise I am fairly good at it.

4. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    same here. no drugs, no drinking, no smoking and good grades. the only thing i'm addicted to are animals! i really want my own truck but i won't be able to get my permit until feb. and they keep changing the laws so you never now when i'll be able to get it. i can't WAIT until i have a job and a car and can get myself places. even now, i will want to go somewhere and be thinking "ugh, i wish i could drive!" i'll have my own car by the time i can drive. it will be the used car my parents bought for my sister. she'll be going off to college and can't bring her car with her. i want a truck though, personally.

5. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    My son is like you, and my mom got him a new car when he turned 16. He is 19 now and still has the car with not a scratch on it. He is very proud of it and keeps it nice. So yes if the teenager is responsibe, I think it is ok. First ticket and it's gone!!LOL

6. Cajunsamoan

Cajunsamoan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Louisiana
    I was not allowed to get my license until I was 18. My dad insisted that my #1 job was school. I also had an 8pm bedtime til my senior year, then it was 9pm. I don't know what I will do when my kids are teens. It would definitely depend on how mature and responsible they seem.

7. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I was able to get my license at 17 and I used my dad's truck for the rest of high school. He had a jeep he used to commute back and forth to work, so the truck was available as long as I was responsible and could afford the gas! (Which was not always easy when it was super expensive!)

Anyways, my dad found me a beautiful used '97 honda accord the october of my first semester of college. I trusted his judgement on the car, didn't even look at it myself before I handed over the money to my dad and bought it. Before driving, I had ALWAYS wanted a truck. I didn't want to drive anything else. However, after driving I realized the little cars were MUCH better on gas! I am in love with my little honda. [​IMG] I was always very responsible with my parent's cars (The worst I did was back the truck into a tree, but thank goodness there was no damage!) Trust was never an issue, but it is definitely nice having my own vehicle!

I think having your own car as a teenager is fine as long as you are responsible. I know too many teens who were NOT responsible and have been in accidents because of it. Some really good advice I can give you is to take a defensive driving course. That was excellent for me as a new driver and I also got a reduction in insurance to boot! This may show your parents that you are very serious! You can take defensive driving courses through many ambulance and fire houses and it costs about $15-$30 or so. Definitely worth it!

8. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm supposed to get my license next year but my mom is so worried she says she won't let me leave the house until I'm 25. [​IMG]

9. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    That's a hard time for any parent. We realize how dangerous driving can be, but also recognize our children's need to grow up and gain independence. Teenagers are 4 times more likely to have an accident. Boys are much more likely than girls. They underestimate the risks involved with driving.
    Knowing all that and more, we still let our kids drive. All you can really do is try to make them understand, and spend many nights worrying.
    Thankfully, my kids made it through without too much trouble, but man, it was tough on dad.

10. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Wow, i'm actually shocked. I expected more people to say "No, its too dangerous" and so on. My parents say that i can get a car when i can afford it. [​IMG] Right now i'm trying to find something cheap and functioning. I get my license in August (2 days or so before school starts). I am already 16, i had to wait extra long to get my permit because my parents wanted my older brother to get his license first. Now that he is graduating they have finally caught on that he has absolutely NO interest in driving and are more tolerant of my excitement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by