teensy weensy egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by zippitydooda, Sep 23, 2011.

1. zippitydooda

zippitydooda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Ottawa, Ohio
    Ok, WHERE is the quail?

I walked into the coop this morning to open it up and there was a teeny tiny teensy weensy hard shelled brown egg on the floor of the coop. It is perfectly shaped but looks like a dove or a quail egg.

Problem is, I have barred rocks, buff orpingtons and black australorps who have been giving me eggs 5 times the size for almost a year. They have just recently begun molting and egg production is WAY down. Out of 15 birds I have been getting between 3-5 eggs daily for the last 2 weeks. And now this LITTLE egg.

Anybody know what causes this? Just a simple bypass of the normal process? [​IMG]

2. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

I know the feeling. The same thing happened to me and I raise BO's. It was the size as a pigeon egg and Yes it did have a yolk. It just happens. None of my girls were in molt at the time. Some people call it a fart egg. [​IMG] May be some of the chicken gurus can chime in with a reason. Cause I'd like to know as well.

3. airmechreed

airmechreed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    Everybody wants to be the Cadbury Bunny.[​IMG]

4. zippitydooda

zippitydooda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Ottawa, Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG] it was waaaay smaller than that tho.....LOL

5. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Look up "fart egg" in the search and you will get a chuckle, sometimes a yoke, but most times not.... [​IMG]

6. Woodschick

Woodschick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2011
    I am curious about this too. I experienced it this week as well (small egg...not an egg fart) I looked it up in my chicken books (again talking about small egg) and didn't find anything that explains it.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  7. packmomma

packmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    Most of mine were yolkless. I gave them to my dad and said , "here these are cholestrol free eggs" lol.

8. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    These tiny eggs are usually the first eggs laid by pullets or more mature hens who have been off lay and are coming back into lay.

I've also seen them referred to as fairy eggs.Do fairies lay eggs????

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  9. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Would like to get some fairy eggs for hatching please! Do I need to add pixie dust to the feed for that? [​IMG]

10. Brianm97

Brianm97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    has anyone ever tried an incubation on a "fart" egg? is there a smaller yolk or is it regular?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by