Teeny little incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Heathero617, May 14, 2011.

1. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Has anyone used one of those yellow glass domed incubators? I just happened upon one on ebay, told my husband about it and of course, he went into about how "Granny" made one out of a wooden box and a heat light...but I then told him that for the 9 bucks >including shipping< it would still be cheaper. It holds I think 3 standard chicken eggs, I was just wondering if it would be worth my while to get this so that the kids and I can actually watch some eggs >hopefully< hatch instead of buggin mama next time she lays her clutch? I do NOT...i repeat do NOT want to hatch a gazillion eggs and have chickens coming out of my ears >i've already got them coming out of my nose< [​IMG] but just something interesting to do with the kids over the summer that not all other kids would get to do. Any advice or expierence is MOST welcome on this idea.

Heather

2. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

My dad got me one when I was a kid and it came with quail eggs. Worked fine and three of the four hatched [​IMG]

3. Heathero617

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    That is pure awsomeness!!!! Since its from ebay it doesnt have the eggs, listing says its only been used once in a classroom. Know anywhere I could order just 3 eggs? LOL

4. NottinghamChicks

Your local grain store should have a for sale board and one of those may just have fertile eggs. Even if they only list chickens call them anyway! I got five eggs that way [​IMG]

5. Heathero617

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    I've looked in the past, maybe i'll look again. I think there are several in the group that are semi-close, maybe i can just get a few from one of them. So if anyone is close to Greeneville Tennessee....and have a few fertalized eggs to spare, let me know, i'll of course gladly pay for them, but I can't see driving an hour or better for 3 or 4 eggs ...gas is far too expensive these days

6. NottinghamChicks

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  7. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    GO FOR IT:weee

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I have heard that they are almost impossible to keep stable temps in by themselves, if the room temperature flucutuates, and that your chances will be much better if you get a small styrofoam cooler, like from 7-11 and put it in there. It will help quite a bit with temperature and humidity regulation. Good luck with incubating! And, you can post in the "Wanted" section of eggs for sale. Post your location and you might luck out and find a BYC member right down the road from you a piece.

Edit to add, if you go the styro cooler route, be sure to poke a small hole or two (pencil sized) down near the bottom and up near the top for air exchange, otherwise they will suffocate. Sorry I forgot that small detail...

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  9. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    i am thinking that you shouldn't get it, most people that get good hatches just get lucky, but you could make a HOMEMADE incubator, i sure that if you were frugal then you could put one together for nine, but you would have to be very frugal about everything................................ JUST SAYIN

10. Heathero617

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Quote:How would i do it with a styrofoam cooler? Wouldnt the heat lamp melt it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by