Teeny Tiny Black Bugs?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Carli, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Carli

Carli Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    I was out checking the coop this evening and noticed little tiny black bugs, larger than flees but not by much, crawling all over the litter. I plan to change out the dry den tomorrow anyway but I'd like to know what these are and if it's normal, safe, or something to worry about? My chickens seem very healthy.

2. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Not sure what the critters are, but get some DE to sprinkle on their shavings to keep bugs to a minimum. [​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Carli. I recommend you visually inspect your chickens tomorrow for mites/lice. Especially check around the vent area,under their wings and at the base of their tail feathers. BTW: There are certain types of mites that only come out at night from cracks and crevices in the chicken house and migrate to the chickens to feed. Now that it's dark, get your flashlight and go out to their house and shine your light on the roosts or perches and see if you see any mites crawling around. If you do, you have your work cut out for you. Let us know one way or the other.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  4. Carli

Carli Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    Quote:I'm on the west coast so it's not quite dark here yet but I will take your advice when darkness falls. Thanks! Praying it's NOT mites!

5. Carli

Carli Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    No mites! YAY! But I'd still like to know that those little black bugs are....

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I'm not sure what they might be. I recommend tomorrow you dispose of the litter (like you said) and make a solution of bleach water and thoroughly wipe everything down after you scrape any poop out. I always wear plastic gloves when I clean/sanitize their house in this manner. Then I put fresh hay in it and throw some sevin dust in the hay just in case, as a preventative. Dont forget to inspect your chickens tomorrow.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I wonder what they are too...
    Are they oblong and have little antennas? Bout the size of a flea?? maybe a teeny bit smaller than a flea?

8. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    They sound like gnats. The gnats have been beyond terrible here until the rain quit and the sun turned it up 100% plus. A friend of mine lost most of her hens to gnats. They bite and suck blood. Clouds of them can be fatal, the chickens will suffocate themselves piling up in the corners trying to get away from them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by