1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

teeny tiny egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenMommy, Jul 24, 2007.

1. ChickenMommy

ChickenMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    North East Texas
    Does anyone else's chicken's sometimes lay a Teeny Tiny Egg. I have gotten 2 this week. They are smaller in diameter then a quarter even. We cracked one open for giggles and there was a little speck of a yolk. The kids thought it was cute. Me...I am concered as they have never done this before. they Free range most of the day and there is feed/oyster shell ALWAYS available and fresh/changed every other day or so water/more so when its hot out to keep it cooler. When the eggs are normal(which has been always except for 2 times) they eggs are big, brown, and hard shelled.
    Any ideas?

2. mike kirby

mike kirby Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2007
    hi!!
    my chickens once laid a tiny egg to!!! i dont think its anything to worry about!! by anychance do you have pullets that havent been laying very long!!!

3. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
  4. akcskye

akcskye Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Shouldn't be anything to worry about...I've had it happen here, too, and most of my chickens live longer than the norm... [​IMG]

5. ChickenMommy

ChickenMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    North East Texas
    Yeah, they have only been laying for about 1 month

6. mike kirby

mike kirby Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2007
    mine were only a few weeks old when they laid the tiny egg!! i think its something to with there body getting used to laying!!! its nothing to worry about!!!

7. TransplantedTexan

TransplantedTexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Bear Creek, Wi
    One of my hens laid a tiny little egg like that in the driveway.
    They were only about 15-16 weeks old at the time. I haven't seen another egg since. They are now 19-20 weeks old so anytime now I'm hoping.

8. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    [​IMG][​IMG] one of mine did that last week and ours have been laying for a few months now. we bought them at four months old. i did not worry about it, it wasn't as big as a walnut even. i just put it with the rest of my eggs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by