teetering runners

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MommaBugg, Apr 22, 2011.

1. MommaBugg

MommaBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    NE MICHIGAN
    OK for anyone who has runner ducks. My runners are about a month old now, and ever since I brought them home they seem to be a little wobbly on their feet. They tend to rock back and then straighten out a bit, back and forth as if they are a little unsteady on their feet. They are growing great and my other ducks, the pekins and rouens dont seem to have this problem. Is this normal for baby runners, or should I be concerned. As I mentioned they have done this since the day I brought them home, but otherwise seem to be growing well, but they do seem to be more delicate than the other breed ducks. Maybe its their slender build(?). Also If they turn out to be hens, is it ok to feed duck hens laying mash? If I have my chickens and ducks of both genders in the same area, will it hurt the drakes or roosters in anyway for them to eat laying mash?

I know its a lot of questions, sorry!

2. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    All of my runners bar maybe one used to totter around with their necks stretched out for a couple of months, until they started to get bigger and more feathered. I think it's normal and probably is due to their build. I wouldn't worry, mine are fine now! [​IMG]

With regards to food, I feed my two drakes the same layers pellets as my four females and they seem to do fine on that. I don't think there is really a drake/rooster alternative anyway! I have read, however, that layers mash in general can be bad for ducks as they sort of scoop up their food rather than peck at it like chickens, therefore it can clog up their nostrils, but I'm not sure how true this is, someone who feeds mash will be able to give an opinion on that - I use layers pellets [​IMG]

3. MommaBugg

MommaBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    NE MICHIGAN
    Quote:Thanks I didnt think about that, I will opt for pellets too, thanks so much!!

4. janastasio

janastasio Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    New Hampshire
    We bought runners from Holderreads last year and they tend to stand straighter than the prev hatchery ones we bought. I have one runner that is so straight that he sometimes wobbles. Its almost like his bottom goes forward under his legs. Hard to describe. I don't think its a good quality, but we love him!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by