Teflon coated pans

Quote:
If the pans get overly hot, they are supposed to outgas something toxic to birds. That was the warning when I had indoor birds. It was heavily recommended that you not use teflon with cage birds in the house. however I never had a problem. I did read lots of testimonials saying they killed all their birds when they forgot the teflon on the stove.

Imp

Those pans aren't only dangerous for birds. Over time the teflon coating starts to come off into whatever you are cooking and is a carcinogenic for humans.

I had a thread about it last year, and was told by many that the biggest danger was the pan getting too hot and outgassing fumes near where chicks were being brooded. But yes, if it starts losing it's coating, get rid of it. I have been relearning how to cook in plain old stainless again. Not worth the risks to use Teflon.

I cook almost everything in cast iron. I LOVE it! Plus I get a workout doing dishes and it saves me a gym membership
big_smile.png

yes, they can be deadly to birds if the pans overheat and make any kind of smoke or fumes...
I've had a bird die from it..and my cousin had it happen to her bird also...
be careful with them..

LOVE my cast iron- but with arthritis in my thumbs it's not getting as much use as in the past.
sad.png

I never knew there was a warning about birds, but I did know it was not good for people. We got rid of all teflon pans, we have a cast iron skillet, a glass pot we've had forever
roll.png
, and a tiny stainless steel pot.

Back
Top Bottom