tell me about artificial lighting...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by islandmama, Feb 23, 2008.

1. islandmama

islandmama Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2008
    Pawleys Island, SC
    I have heard that artificial lighting will keep hens laying better. Is this true? We have 6 hens (1 RIR, 2BO, ! jersey giant, 1 red star, and 1 leghorn) and we mostly get 4-5 eggs per day, some times 6 eggs.

2. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    yes it can help laying production if it makes the chickens think the days are longer

3. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
  4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Yes it is true, some folks have a light come on at like 4am or some such time to get them going earlier.

I prefer to let my girls flow with the seasons and have a break in winter when its cold.

5. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    6 hens and 4-5 eggs a day seems pretty great for this time of year!!! We have 6 hens and we do add a couple hours light in the morning, but we're only averaging 4.1 eggs a day. Sounds like you have no reason to change anything!
    Stacey

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Here is the thread with my light timer .

Your hens seem to be producing just fine by the numbers you posted and have no need for extra light.

Adding too much light and not letting your chickens go to roost normally can burn them out and end their production earlier than normal. It can also create a lot of stress that will have other ill effects on their health. Add light with caution. Only extend the morning hours. Now that the days are starting to lengthen again you should have no need for extra light.

7. islandmama

islandmama Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2008
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Great information from everyone! Thanks a lot. I think we will leave well enough alone, especially since the days are getting longer and it is warming up here (SC).

Appreciate all the input!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by