tell me about beagles and beagleX dogs?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by patandchickens, Jul 2, 2010.

1. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    So we're sort of looking for a dog. Needs to be medium-sized and nonaggressive (I have cats and small children, plus the animals outside) and "user-friendly" meaning no hard-to-train-out problems.

The lady at the one rescue I've spoken with so far (have an appointment for Wednesday to go meet their dogs) is trying really really hard to steer me towards beagles and beagleish dogs.

My first reaction is to say I don't think so... the beagles and very beagle-y mixes that I've known over the years are happy and playful and not inclined to any great aggression or destruction, sure, but they have also been very, um, oblivious to the possibility of doing things someone else's way. Beagle wants to run around and bark, beagle runs and barks; beagle wants to dig holes (very very fast) and go wandering all over the countryside, beagle does so; person says "don't do that!" or "sit!" or whatever to beagle, beagle gives person a blank look and continues beagling right along like before.

That's not what I want. I want something that a) will not severely test our fences, and b) is reasonably well trainable.

But maybe my impression of beagles over the years is incorrect?

What do you think, those who have known MULTIPLE beagles and beagleX well and worked with them personally?

Thanks,

Pat

2. chicnfarmer

chicnfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    nope. they bark. ...a LOT.

3. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    They Bark Nonstop.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Very stubborn dogs..

5. brownlikewoah

brownlikewoah Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    seattle
    I'm not a fan either, barking, very loudly nonstop, if they smell something, they're gone. Personally, I would never trust one around the chickens.
    How about a french bulldog? or a brittany? Possibly sheltie? They tend to bark a lot too though.

6. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    I have had several beagles as pets. Currently I have Norman the beagle X (some hound, basset, walker, ?).

Docile, gentle and he doesn't bark very much. But when he does, they ain't no doubt, a huge bellowing baritone. As I said earlier he is one of the quieter beagles I have ever been around. In particular Norman is the most gentle little dog I have ever had.

Some of the traits I have experienced over the years that I have had to deal with----

Number one biggest thing, if the nose goes to the ground, tail comes up, the ears shutdown. For true if Norman catches the scent of a rabbit, squirrel or anything else that intrigues him, he will give a bit of a buggle and off he goes. He will come to heal if you catch him early, but if gets going, he off on the trail.

Number two is appetite he will eat how ever much he can get his mouth on, cat food, dog food, anything left dragging is fair game. Exactly how much he will eat, no telling, we have never filled him up.

Here's Norman the beagle, Elmo the chiuahua (ahh heck mexican dog), Nephew Eric fishman Brown with Uncle 29

[​IMG]

7. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:No kidding...my parents had a beagle years ago and He.Would.Not.Stop.Barking.

8. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Neighbors have had 2 since we've lived here...both bark a lot and loudly. And, they like to wander. Those awesome noses get a whiff of...just about anything and off they go!

9. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Stamina out the wazoo - beagles can go all day!

10. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Be prepared to be VERY patient, as they can be stubborn, and yes, they bark, and howl. I always know when my friend Colleen gets to work, from the baying of her Beagles.
    My experience over the years is that they listen to their nose, not you; they bark a LOT, and since they were bred to hunt rabbits ( I think) are not good around small critters. Cute, sweet dogs, but you literally could not pay me to own one.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by