tell me about beagles and beagleX dogs?

They tend to be stubborn, nose-blind and not inclined to listen (the nose-blind thing). One neighbor's is the quietest dog in the neighborhood, except for full moon night and when ever a siren goes off. I've also had several friends have difficulty house training beagles.

Our two beagle pups, at about six months old, killed ALL of our chickens with the help of a neighbor's Boston terrier. They made it into the chain link run.

I would rehome them in a minute if my 7 year old didn't have such a forgiving heart. She can't stand to let them go.

They are sweet dogs that turned into monsters and killed everything in sight. I can't ever let them loose or trust them.

I have always had beagles and love the breed, I had never had one do this, before.

I grew up with a beagle mix; 3/4 beagle, 1/4 dachshund. He was a great dog! He never messed in the house, and I only remember him barking if there was something to bark about. He was very loyal and protective. When I was about 5 years old, I had a breathing issue, where I could not stop hyperventilating. The first time it happened, my family ran the shower really hot in the hopes that the steam would help. It got so hot in there that my father had to leave the room, but that dog never left my side. He was very serious about his sniffing. If the nose was in charge then the nose was in charge. Beagles are not ones to let off leash unless you expect them to follow the nose. I remember him as pretty low key, but then, he was 4 years older than me, so I missed out on his puppy years. He had a respectful dignity about him. Very smart too. When the nose wasn't in charge, he was quite happy to listen and was generally mindful.

It all depends on what you want from a dog.

Pat,

We have had loads of Beagles. Love them! We have a house dog Beagle named Belle now and she is great with kids. She is quiet for the breed. Now for the negatives, they are hard headed, hard to train, follow their nose( we have had to go get ours 5 miles from home ). You can not turn your back for a moment and they are gone. One consideration is if they run off and can't be found then you will have broken hearted children.

I think if I were looking for a medium sized dog for kids. I would look at Puggles. It does seem our beagle crosses stayed home for the most part. Pug/Beagle cross. Boy are they cute.

Micah

Thanks guys, it sounds like my impression is generally accurate -- that they are good fun dogs but may not be right for us. (We are on 19 acres out in the country, with fences but not beagleproof fences if you know what I mean). I think I will resist being talked into a beagle type dog, unless it seems very atypical for the breed.

Much appreciated,

Pat

My first dog as a child was a beagle. Her name was Pokey. She was awesome. My grandfather kept her outside. Now, My ex mother in law (RIP) had a cute Lemon beagle named Prince. He was an over weight, fence climbing, rotten dog! We loved him to pieces! But he loved to climb! My ex mother in law had a beautiful herb & butterfly garden that was just outside the dining room window, one sunny morning I woke up, went downstairs, and I was eating some cereal... I glance out the window, hoping to see a hummingbird, or butterfly, Nope! There's Mr. Prince, sitting on the window ledge watching me eat!
lau.gif
He was so silly! When he got older, he was such a little fatty! I was giving him a bath, and I felt a hard lump, it was the size of a golf ball! I paniced! I took him to the vet, it was cancer! Mr. Prince had surgury the next day. When I went to pick him up, I was sure the news would be bad. I figured with him being so old, that he was probally ate up with cancer. Nope! Great news! Mr Prince was lucky! The tumor started in his "fat" there was so much fat, that the tumor was unable to attach to ANY of his organs! (and who says being overweight can kill ya!
gig.gif
) So, Prince went on to live to a nice age of almost 20!

I have a beagle mix and he is a sweetheart. I tell him baby and he is so gentle with it, it is so cool to see but when his nose finds something forget it he will track it until we catch him or he is exhausted which takes a very long time. He has never chases my chickens he does guard them since they are "babies" he is very protective of my kids and has guarded them for 10 years now and he would die to protect them. Now if I had a chance to get another beagle mix I don't think I would because at 10 years old he still bolts and his bark when he catches a scent is enough for me to want to buy ear plugs. I love Roscoe to death but not sure I would want another one. I will say he has been a great dog for the kids he loves my 4 kids and protects them even if they are adults now he sleeps with each one for a little bit each night but mostly with my oldest son and his cat it is funny to watch the dog and cat snuggled up together sleeping. I really think it all depends on each dog and the way they are breed We think our Roscoe is a terrier mix which means more hunting dog.

Beagles are NOT easy dogs to train....and even when they are trained...are NEVER easy dogs to get to listen! I have known a beagle breeder with obedience champion beagle, and she'd tell you the same thing! You are right, beagles do what they want, when they want!....if they want to listen to you, they will...but if they're not in the mood..........good luck! Friendly and sweet though!
smile.png
My brother has one and I've met and worked around many.

A few intelligent, "non-aggressive," obedient small/medium breeds are english cocker spaniels, springer spaniels, and nova scotia duck tolling retrievers (high energy breed). American cockers can sometimes fit into that category....but only those from reputable breeders...most of the american cockers I've known have been complete idiots, though friendly.....I've also known a lot of people that have met very nasty american cockers...they're not supposed to be...but they've been bred very very poorly by backyard breeders and mills.

Last edited:
beagles and hounds are great dogs. yes, some are stubborn, some are obediant, some are smart , some are dumb. they will put food on your table . a lab is nothing but a duck retriever. i have had beagles for over 40 years and hounds for 30 years. i wouldn't have a lab as they are useless. i have had hound / beagle crosses that were so obediant that i coulld call them off a track and point to the kennel and they would go in. the beagle is always in the top 5 of dogs and when people were more hunting oriented the beagle was no.1. i have never seen a beagle bite a child.

ok all you beagle haters, enough already.

I have a FABULOUS Beagle -Lab mix. She is lazy, doesn't care if she is laying around all day as long as she is with you. Loves car rides, doesn't bark much at all. I do have to say that I live in the country and it's not a big deal if she does bark. We are even trying to teach her commands to howl or bark. She does bark when people come over (terrible guard dog though...too busy sleeping). She is off leash 98% of her life, but walks well on a leash. They are stubborn sometimes though. But if you put time into training the dog the right way, you will have a great dog.

I had been walking back from the barn one night and they coyotes started carrying on, real close. I was scared and she could tell, she put up her hackles, was on guard and did not leave my side. Here's a photo of the best dog ever camping with us last year:

40674_ginger_4_byc.jpg

OH, and I wanted to add that a beagle (or most dogs) will bark all day long if you tie them to a line, next to a doghouse, in the backyard with no attention

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom