Tell me about Blue Andalusians

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by herechickchick, Mar 28, 2007.

1. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I am wanting to order some blue Andalusian hens and I would like to know more about the breed. I have read that they are high strung and do not like people and that you have a 50/50 chance of getting a blue hen. I am new to the chicken world so any info would be great!

-Adam

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
  3. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Thanks but I have already looked at that site. I guess I am hoping for insight to the breed from people who currently have them or have had them in the past.

-Adam

4. Anne

Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    I ordered 4 Blue Andalusians from a hatchery in Washington State. All turned out blue, don't know if it was luck or what. They were typical hatchery birds, not show quality. The 3 females were very skittish and flighty, small birds that laid HUGE white eggs. The rooster was super-friendly from the get-go, as a chick he would jump onto your hand and climb up your arm to snuggle under your chin. To this day he'll jump up on your lap and let himself be hugged. But I understand that's quite unusual for an Andalusian.

-Anne

5. chickenwire

chickenwire Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2009
    nova scotia
    the ones i have seem ok not overly highstrung not aggresive at all the hens will come to you to be fed our roo takes to one corner while your in with him no problems

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by