Tell me about Brown African & Toulouse geese..

Discussion in 'Geese' started by chickenzoo, Aug 24, 2008.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Any one have experience with these breeds?

2. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    We had Africans before and found them to be very friendly but also, very loud.

Also have Toulouse and they will eat out of your hands and follow us around, they honk some but not nearly as much as the Africans.

Steve in NC

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I had 2 African crosses. They were aggressive and very aggressive to other geese. My toulouse are some of my favorites.

4. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Africans can be pretty aggressive. I have heard of some that wouldnt even let people pulling into the yard out of their car,lol.
    They are still my favorite breed of goose.

5. RoyalHillsLLC

RoyalHillsLLC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    NW Louisiana-Vivian
    My Africans are only a few months old, but they have been good. I have young children and no issues there either. I don't consider them loud, but I live out in the country.

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

what should I feed them? Any thing I should do differently then my chickens ,turkey and peafowl.

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    How old are they? At 8 weeks or older Purina Flock Raiser is excellent for geese. The love a green yard to graze and with a nice place to roam and graze they will eat less feed. They are herbivores and do not eat bugs or worms etc. Nice vegetation and plenty of clean water makes them happy.

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

they are 2 & 3

9. RoyalHillsLLC

RoyalHillsLLC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    NW Louisiana-Vivian
    I would plant a good cool season grass for them to eat this winter. I am planting as we speak, some oats, wheat, and ryegrass. I may throw in some clover and winter peas also. they are higher protein.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by