Tell me about candling on day 7?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by flipflops, Mar 28, 2018.

1. flipflops

flipflops Chirping

Jun 19, 2017
    So I am coming up on day 7 of my eggs in the incubator. They were all shipped. I am anxious to see them and see how they are doing. I snuck a peek at one tonight and it had a blood ring. Is that one to be thrown out and any others that have them or Clear? Should I be drawing the air sack line? Any other things I should check for?

2. Redhead Rae

Redhead Rae Chickens, chickens everywhere!

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    You should see some veining and possibly the embryo's eye. You could also see some movement around that spot.

3. flipflops

flipflops Chirping

Jun 19, 2017
    Should i be drawing the air cell around the top or just check it?
    Also is it going to hurt anything opening this up for the period of time to look at the eggs etc? First time and paranoid! Lol

AlleysChicks likes this.
  4. Redhead Rae

Redhead Rae Chickens, chickens everywhere!

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    You can draw it. I don't. Though I might start.

5. flipflops

flipflops Chirping

Jun 19, 2017
    Ok so curiosity is killing me so I checked a few eggs. There are some that I can def see the eye and movement, there are some with just some veins and that' all. Unfortunately from one seller I bought 8 eggs, 6 were not fertile and 1 blood ring and only 1 was good, urgghhh.

6. N Sully

N Sully Songster

Sep 4, 2017
    South Dakota
    If they were shipped, I think it’s a good idea to trace the air cell before you put them in and then at 7, 14 and at lock down. From what I have read, many people hatching shipped eggs incubate the eggs in an upright position and also hatch them upright. They wait for 3-7 days to start handturning them gently. If they went through the mail, they go through a lot of bumps and banging around before they get to you.

oregonkat and WVduckchick like this.
  7. flipflops

flipflops Chirping

Jun 19, 2017
    Yes I am incubating upright. I did let them sit upright for 24 hours then in and Turner on after 3 days. All air cells look good. I had 2 with saddle shaped and this one looks a.little large to me....See pic...?

Attached Files:

N Sully likes this.
  8. N Sully

N Sully Songster

Sep 4, 2017
    South Dakota
    I am ready to “lockdown” tonight with shipped eggs. This is my first time with shipped eggs and my only experience with hatching before was with 2 eggs. One I cracked :barnie putting into the incubator and the other did hatch with assistance, so I am by no means experienced! I followed this guide and am hoping I get some chicks to hatch.
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/alab...cessfully-hatch-shipped-eggs/133243453534988/

9. N Sully

N Sully Songster

Sep 4, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have also read to wait until day 10-14 just to make sure they not viable. Air cells is where I am a littl worried with my eggs. Not sure they are large enough. Someone, I think @WVduckchick said it’s easier to slow down the size of an air cell than to try to increase it when your getting close to hatching.

WVduckchick likes this.
  10. CajunFeatherz

CajunFeatherz Chirping

Mar 13, 2018
    Also not an expert, but you can draw the air cells if you want, for a newbie (like me!) it can help us learn as well as ensure proper incubator behavior. A broody hen leaves her nest a few times a day for 30 minutes or so to eat, drink, and poop, so don't be afraid to open your incubator up and candle them when you need to. Take your time but don't dally. And if you're taking too long to do them all and have tons of eggs, do half of them, put the top back on, and come back in 8 hours or so to finish the rest. If it has a blood ring, it is dead. Otherwise wait a few more days or until you smell something to start throwing things out, I have an egg in my incubator right now that showed late vascularity but appears to be on track now. If you smell something though, get the offending egg out asap. You definitely do not want the dreaded exploding egg!

flipflops, WVduckchick and N Sully like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: