Tell me about Chicken Disieses

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenlover09, Aug 14, 2014.

1. chickenlover09

chickenlover09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2014
    Hi everyone. I'm sort of new to chickens (I know about most things though). I really need to learn some facts about chicken disieses. My chicks (ages are 2months and 1 month olds), they haven't had any vaccinations, there's NO chicken vet anywhere where I live, so I guess I would have to do surgery myself??????????

What are the most common chicken disieses? How do chickens get them? How can I prevent them?

Where I live, there are a lot of mosquitos (I have a zapper though), squirrels, crows green parrots and other birds, raccoons, and sometimes skunks.

When I move the chickens to the back of my house, they would probably live on both dirt/mud and shavings.

Please tell me about chicken disieses, how to prevent them, how they get them, signs of illness, how to treat them, and anything else!

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I've had chickens for years and have never had a reason to do any kind of surgery on a chicken myself. However it will indeed help you a great deal to learn about chicken diseases and illness. There would be an awful lot to type here so it might be easiest for you to get a book about common poultry diseases or to simply Google "poultry diseases" and start reading. Just don't get overwhelmed and think that your birds are all going to die of all these diseases you read about lol! The only thing I vaccinate for is Merek's.

At your birds young age the most common thing to have to treat for is coccidiosis. It is caused by a protozoa that lives in the soil. You would be wise to buy some Corid and keep it on hand so you can treat immediately if you see symptoms. Chicks become lethargic and don't want to eat/drink much. Left untreated they die very fast but if treated right away it's easy to save them.

I would add, if you have raccoons make sure you have an extremely secure coop for your birds as racoons will tear through just about anything to get a chicken dinner!

Good luck with your birds!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by