1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

tell me about diapers plz

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wildorchid053, Oct 7, 2009.

1. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    the only way i can imagine a chicken diaper is with a big mess stuck to their feathers? is that the way it is.. i would love to bring some in when the snows start to sit with us.. but i don't want to clean feathers all the time.. do you shave them or what and how do they work?

2. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
  3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    They aren't anything like human diapers. They are basically a pouch that straps on right over the vent. They only cover a little circle around the vent and then hang out the back with a bag inside. The poop drops into the bag and is not in contact with the bird. They aren't walking around with a tight diaper but with a bag hanging off under their tails. If you've seen horses in big cities with the manure bags it's the same idea. I can't find a good pic but here's an example on a mini being used as a therapy animal http://www.bunbag.com/image/8254425.jpg

4. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    There are several sites that sell chicken diapers. Do a search with 'chicken diaper' and a number of sites will come up.

5. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    or you could buy a hound dog [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by