Tell me about Dutch bantams, please.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by amyquilt, Jul 21, 2008.

1. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    I love the OE bantams. I was looking on Ideal's site the other day and saw Dutch. Two of the same colors that are my faves in the OEGB line.

I do see that the Dutch are smaller in size, but what else is different....would I like or dislike about the Dutch bantams??

Anyone have any experience with them?

2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    There are many differences between dutch and OEGB. A good dutch has white earlobes, they are loosly feathered, slate legs. When you see a good dutch and a good OEGB side by side it is like comparing a white leghorn and a white rock.

3. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Quote:A lady I know has OEGB Creles and I think they are such neat birds. She also has a Blacktail Buff, but the BTB is noticably smaller than the Creles, so I am wondering if it is a Dutch. She's not super knowledgable on the OEGB, just got them because she like them, and the little BTB was included in the purchase with them.

In your opinion, which would you rather have, a Dutch or an OEGB?? And why?

I'm still new in the chicken world, so I'm learning so much every day.

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I love my little dutch bantams.

I have 4 Cream Light Brown girls, 1 Cream Light Brown Cockerel, 1 Blue Cream Light Brown Pullet, and 2 Blue Cream light Brown Cockerels.

To be so little these birds have such BIG personalities. The girls are easily tamed. The Boys have been compared to snapping turtles, but that is not always the case.

I got 2 boys and 3 girls this year(haggerty lines) that were not raised right and were wild as bats. The girls tamed up pretty quick. The rooster that came with them was extremely mean and was relocated, but luckily the cockerel was not ruined yet and is getting tame.

This my BCLB Pullet(Cream ) when she was 2 months old. Her coloring has changed as she has grown and she has started her white ear lobes. I bought some eggs from SQ stock, so hopefully Cream and the other 3 that hatched will grow to be nice quality. I plan to show them come spring.

These little chickens can fly like a wild bird. It has also been troublesome trying to get them NOT to roost in the trees. This color is harder to see then some and they have been able to avoid the hawk. I lost my Blacks a few years ago to a hawk. When I get it finished they will be in a covered lot, but will freerange when I can be out with them.

One thing I really like about showing the Dutch is that the OEGB need to be dubbed, but the Dutch should have their big beautiful combs showing proudly.

Matt

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  5. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    So since the Dutch are flyers, they should be kept in an enclosed yard?

6. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    The Dutch can fly extremely well so yeah, you might want to keep them in a enclosed run.
    Differences are many between Dutch and OEG you can go to www.dutchbantamsocietyamerica.com and see the differences listed there.

If you buy Dutch from a hatchery, you are getting a breed crossed with OEG anyway, as many of the colors they sell in Dutch are not possible in this country without crossing into OEG or other birds. Also, they have them labeled as BB Red Dutch which is a dead give away about the cross to OEG. You would be lacking seriously in Type from a hatchery, making it pretty much, not Dutch.

Get some from a good breeder and you would not regret it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by