Tell me about gapeworm please!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Nebraskagirl, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Nebraskagirl

Nebraskagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    My Khaki Campbell drake has been shaking his head and occasionally making a weird "cough" sound. The weird sound has been going on for a couple of months. The other duck shows no signs at all and they together all the time. I do free range them during the day and they eat whatever they can find besides the flock feed I give them. Does this sound like gape? He is not "gasping" for air and is not limping and appears healthy. Can gape kill? If so, how long? How do I treat?

2. Nebraskagirl

Jul 12, 2012
    Gee this forum is helpful..........never mind

3. Nebraskagirl

Jul 12, 2012

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Frustrating, isn't it, when our posts seem to get lost?

We have not had to deal with gapeworm, but I can tell you what I know from reading the forum, and from Storey's Guide.

It gets progressively worse if untreated. Here is a thread discussing treatment.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/702562/safeguard-fenbendazole-for-gapeworm

Another possibility is that your drake's "coughing" is some kind of communication. Is he your only drake? Would it be possible for you to make a video so we can hear it?

Sometimes, too, something can get caught in a duck's throat. Or, they can get respiratory infections. In the latter case, they might need antibiotics instead of antihelminthics. Take a look at this thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/285714/coughing-duck-is-it-serious

Is his "crop" area on the front of his chest swollen at all? Can you pick him up and hold him for a few minutes, listening to his breathing?

How is he otherwise?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by