Tell me about Guineas!

AtRendeAcres

Songster
12 Years
May 23, 2007
Clarion County
I am interested in getting some guineas but, know little about them!

Do they need a coop?

Would coop be like chicken coop?

If they free range do they need to be locked in like chickens?

Can you tame them?

What do you feed them?

idunno.gif
Anything esle you can think of...

Everyone that I know that has them just keeps them with the chickens in the same house. They don't hang with the chickens much, but they get along fine.
They never shut up, people us to say they make a good "watch dog", but I never could see how, they never shut up!
smile.png

But people that have them seem to really like them.
There was a rumor going around a few years ago that they would eat "turkey tics" out of your yard, but so will any free range chicken.
I think it was something the guinea breeders came up with.
smile.png

Guineas are semi wild birds. They will wander all over the neighborhood if you let them. They like to roost in trees, especially near someone's bedroom window, where they make racket all the time. Those are the bad things about them. The good thing is that they are bug eating machines. My neighbor had some gray ones that would patrol my garden daily, eating bugs of all kinds. If they weren't so noisy I would get some.

Well I had 6 guineas, let me tell ya they are noisy!!!
KA-CHANK,KA-CHANK,KA-CHANK,KA-CHANK, LOL
I was okay with them till mating season arrived. :mad: They would fight with my Mama hen & try to hurt my baby chics.They all free ranged, had plenty of room. I ended up getting rid of them.
I was able to get them to roost at night with the chickens.
Good luck, there are some folks on here that have had good experiences with guineas.

I just love Guineas, but don't have any of my own yet. I have a relative who has them and they sleep up in the trees, so I don't think you must luck them up at night. They seem to take care of themselves.

They also come up very close to get treats and snacks. The ones I've watched did associate with a peacock and some chickens. It was an odd little flock to watch move around as one.

1) noisy or if you like their sound, loud.
2) love to free range, eat a lot insects
3) free ranging, they get wild.
4) Will roost on highest point they can get, they fly like birds.
5) Taste really good.
6) too stupid to get out of way of cars.
7) Don't get along w/chickens very well all the time. Their heads are harder than rock.
8) They detest snow........

Here in South African there loads of them running wild.
I can tell u his.
1. there bloody stupid to be honest.
2.Almost impossible to tame.
3. yes noisy
4. and from my experiences there really aggressive to chickens, always biting them.

They are noisy but I like them.

They are rather dumb but alert to change andything coming into their area.

Mine free range. They never wander far from home and are usually within sight all of the time.

Once you lock them in and teach them where home is they won't wander far and will come back at dusk.

They like to roost high.

Mine decided they did not like the coop I had for them and began to live with the goats.

I think I have 5 males and 1 female. They are mean to the lone 1.

She is a recluse and is often found alone in the barn.

They taste DELICIOUS! and also lay eggs.

I love my guineas. I had them before my chicken and ducks. They are noisy but only when something is going on they arent used to or they dont like. My house is very routine and they rarely make much noise. They get along with my other chickens and ducks and mine are all hand fed. I cant go and pick them up unless they are roosting but when I call them they all come running. They can fly despite their odd shape. Dont let them roost in trees. Keep them in a coop or in a brooder box in the coop for the first 6 weeks and use shouldnt have much problem getting them to go in. Mine are free range. It is nearly impossible to keep them in anything unless it has a roof on it. Good luck.

We only had one, a "gift" from a friend. Here is our experience in a nut shell:
Minnie was insane, never shut up, loathed the very site of humans and as soon as she was let out of the coop her first morning with us she flew over the house into the neighbors' yard and started making whatever you call the noise that guineahens make. It was 5:30. The neighbors were not impressed with the beautiful new bird in the flock. Now picture me in my work clothes (dress, tights, clogs) attempting to herd her back into our yard. She flew down the street to the dead end where she spent the day, loudly letting everyone know that we had a quinea hen in addition to our chickens. She did finally come home and spent a few days hanging out with the chickens until we caught her and gave her back.
So I can tell you from experience that guinea hens in a relatively quiet semi-suburban neighborhood are not a great idea.

Back
Top Bottom