Tell me about Leg Bands.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Goat_Walker, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Ok - So now I think I want to put leg bands on my adult perm birds since ive had them wander to someone elses house. This would help neighbors know they are mine as well as if they get out again i can say on the signs that they have leg bands.

DO they come in different sizes and how do I put them on? Are they bothersome to the bird?

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I think if your chickens are wandering to other houses, they are in danger of being attacked by wandering dogs or being hit by cars. I'd suggest a fence as your first line of defense [​IMG]

Otherwise, I'd be interested to hear others opinions about leg bands, or even wing bands. I'm in the market now that I'm getting more chickens it would be worthwhile for me to purchase some (since I'm gonna have to order online and probably buy at least 50). Right now I have 3 adults that wear zip ties on their leg, and they don't bother the birds at all.
    I almost think that wing bands might be easier though, and more "one size fits all" since I have teeny little Leghorn legs and RIR rooster legs to fit (going back to ordering a 50 pack of whichever size.....grr) Opinions please?

3. berkeleysprings

berkeleysprings Chillin' With My Peeps

i use numberes leg bands to keep track of wheaten marans and what breeder they came from and how dark the egg and a type that do not need a tool to put on and they dont even notice they have it on

4. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    LOL - sorry, I guess I should have said that these are all ducks. I just thought youcsould put the same bands on ducks as chickens. My ducks go to the neighbors pond if im not watching them sometimes.... lol

They have a fenced in yard but I like to let them free range. They were fine till a dog attack caused them to loose their senses and start leaving the yards.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by