Tell me about Lyme's disease

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by shelleyd2008, May 15, 2009.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    As I'm sure many of you are aware, the ticks are terrible this year (as they have been the past few years). I have taken at least 7 off me that I can remember.

The past few days I have been feeling very ill. It started out as being really tired, more so than usual. I haven't had a fever that I know of, but I sure feel like I should. I have very bad headaches, my back hurts, and my neck has been sore. I have an old back and neck injury, so these aren't all that big of a thing. Many times my neck will get so stiff that it gives me a headache. And this is a normal thing.

I wouldn't think anything of it, except that for today now, my stomach has been very achy. Almost a diarrhea feeling (sorry to be so graphic), but it's not, I just have a very achy belly. Also today my head 'feels' hot, like I should be feverish, but when I checked it a while ago I didn't have a temp. I just feel very sick, and am not sure what the deal is.

Can someone have Lyme's disease without a rash, and with no fever?

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Shelly...go to the doctor! It could be a few things...any cases of Meningitis in your area? The stiff neck and headache worry me..for real. If you dont have Ins. go to a clinic..also..theres Mono to check for..RMSF also..lol..just go get checked for me! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Hun, I honestly don't know. And I wish I could help you out, but I have to say go to the "Doc in a Box" and get the blood test.

Don't wait. We have a lot of ticks here, and have to be tested yearly. Don't wait, because if not caught early it can become a long-term problem.

[​IMG] Keep an open mind, it could well be something else that will go away fast. [​IMG]

edited because I still can't type worth a hoot.

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  4. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Of course things like this always happen on a Friday [​IMG] My doctor's office isn't open on Saturdays, so I'll have to wait till next week. If I get to feeling any worse I'll go to the ER.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Doc in a BOX!
    Much cheaper, MUCH shorter wait, and they usually accept all insurance. In an ER, you will wait a long time, because you are not an emergency- i.e., not bleeding.

6. what eggs

what eggs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2009
    Lyme does not always present with a fever or rash and it is really not worth waiting if you think it might possibly be lyme. The other options could be minor or more serious things that could really get worse if not treated. It is time, money and giving them some swabs and blood to know what is wrong and get on the path to fixing it vs feeling like this or worse for an unknown period of time.

http://www.lyme.org/otherdis/ld_symptoms.html

"Signs and symptoms of Early Local Lyme Disease often starts with flu-like feelings of headache, stiff neck, fever, muscle aches, and fatigue."

7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I did a search for doc in a box, any idea where to find it ?

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:ooh..those symptoms sure seem to fit hers!

9. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:ooh..those symptoms sure seem to fit hers!

That's why i was asking. I had seen that list of symptoms, but I don't have a fever (though I feel like I do), and I don't have a rash that I know of. The ticks I have taken off myself have all been deer ticks, and they have been either on my back or in the 'crease' of my leg, so it's pretty easy to tell if I have a rash. Although there is one place that I had one on me and haven't looked at it yet, just remembered. I'll have to check that.

ETA: Checked it, no rash there either.

Last edited: May 15, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by