Tell me about Midget White turkeys?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by BeardedChick, Jul 21, 2008.

1. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I am having fantasies about having a small flock of Midget Whites next year. I like my BR's alot, but they are getting big enough that they trample the flower garden somewhat. But I love that they don't dig like the chickens do.

Are MW's as friendly and "helpful" as the BR's? I always have a helpful little posse following me around the garden. [​IMG]

Are there other small turkey breeds that are recommended?

2. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

ps. Yay for me, 100 posts!!! [​IMG]

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I bought some eggs off ebay, seller in Arkansas, she packed them terribly, bubble wrapped but loose in the box with newspaper wads as shock absorbers! PM me if you want her name. I still want some, but I will wait for the right deal or dealer.

4. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    SandSPoultry is the person you need to talk to. Steve has them and they ship, I don't know if he has Midget White eggs available right now though. Send him an email and let him know Kim sent you his way. A girl's got to get her referral discounts. [​IMG]

I got my White Hollands from them, see thread labeled "Look at my Pretty White Hollands!!". I know them personally and can vouch for the care and health of their birds! Great people.

-Kim

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  5. Leslie In North Pole

Leslie In North Pole Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2007
    North Pole, AK
    I am trying to get into Beltsville Whites, another small white turkey. sandspoultry also raises them, and they do a nice job shipping eggs. Unlike the midget whites, they are pretty rare, with very few breeders in the U.S. or Canada. Sharon says they have a very nice temperment.

6. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    LOL. I might have gotten the breeds Steve and Sharon(SandSPoultry) raise mixed up.. I sent them an email to confirm the breeds they raise. They will probably be in here soon. LOL They are anywhere the word "turkey" pops up. [​IMG]

-Kim

7. Leslie In North Pole

Leslie In North Pole Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2007
    North Pole, AK
    LOL, I think they raise a little bit of everything. Their tag line on this board reads

Eastern NC, Beltsville White, Bourbon Red, White Holland, Midget White, Royal Palm, Standard Bronze turkeys, White Embden & Toulouse geese, Muscovy & Indian Runner ducks, India Blue peafowl, and Buff Orpington, Dark Cornish, Cochin, Speckled Sussex, RIR chickens​

8. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    I emailed them last night to double check. I didn't even think to look at their signature.

-Kim

9. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    hmmmm you people always talking about people. [​IMG] Turkeys, yes we have turkeys, turkeys everywhere!

The Midgets aren't quite as curious and under foot as the Bourbons are. Our BR's are sometimes a pain when you are working in the area.

We aren't shipping any eggs right now, we feel it's way to hot to ship eggs. With any luck we should have some in the fall, the last couple years we have had eggs in Oct, Nov. if you don't mind brooding them in the winter.

Steve & Sharon

10. zekii

zekii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    Yes, I know this is an old thread, but just like the title says, experienced keepers of this breed, tell me some about them ?

How do you house this breed in the winter months ? I live in the cold/snowy north so how does this breed do in cold weather ?
    Do you keep your Midget Whites with other livestock, chickens .. etc ?

What size coop is needed for say 6 turkeys ?

I do not have any turkeys, but am considering this particular breed.

Thanks,
    ZeKii

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by