Tell me about Polish Chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mistyray_lynn, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Mistyray_lynn

Mistyray_lynn Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2011
    A friend of mine ended up with a Polish rooster and is not allowed to keep it (hoa regs)

I have six young hens (3 mo old) in the greater Denver area. My current flock is pretty cold hardy, I believe. (3 Wyandots, 1 RIR, 1 Astralorp, 1 Plymouth Rock). I am considering taking in the rooster (also 3 mo old) but I read that they are not "cold hardy" I don't know what that really means. Could someone provide some advise regarding this breed and my general climate. And if this rooster would mesh well with my little flock? Also, the chickens often free range in my suburban backyard (where I CAN have a rooster). My children (ages 4yrs and 2 yrs) play in this backyard as well. Any extra concerns in this regard????

As always, I so appreciate you knowledgeable peeps. [​IMG]

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I've had polish here in WI and they did fine. We do however have an insulated coop with heat lamp on when it reaches below -20 degrees. But never had any problems with them and they are very nice birds. The hens are a little shy and seem to be more on the bottom of the pecking order when it comes to being with regular hens but a roo should fit right in with your hens and not be so hard on them [​IMG] I love the polish breed and have some chicks right now in fact [​IMG] Buff laced...LOVE them!

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    One thing I forgot to mention is to make sure to talk to the kids about being careful with the head/tophat area.

4. Mistyray_lynn

Jan 16, 2011
    You know, thanks, it didn't occur to me that they could hold/touch the rooster. That he would be that docile/friendly. My son (4) holds the hens all the time. Good to know.

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    They can be VERY nice just be sure to handle him a lot when you get him and that helps a lot. I have 6 roos running around my yard at all times with all the hens and not one of them are mean because we are always handling them. I have a 6 yr old and not one of them has even come close to being mean to him [​IMG] We did have one REALLY awful bantam Ameraucana (black) and he was BAD...he found a new home though [​IMG] There was no taming him no matter how hard I tried! LOL

6. Mistyray_lynn

Jan 16, 2011
    We can do that. Thanks again for the info. I think he'd be a fun addition.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by