Tell me about Sebastopols

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Sweetfolly, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    It looks like I'm going to pick up two pairs of Sebastopol Geese early tomorrow morning...I've had ducks for about 5 years now, I've been lurking on this part of the forum reading about geese, but I'm just now realizing that...I don't know what I've gotten myself into!

So, tell me about Sebbies! I've got the basics down - I know how to properly feed and house them (wouldn't dream of bringing animals home unless I had that covered!), but is there anything Sebbie-specific I should know? Besides needing fresh water to bathe in so they don't look bedraggled (the ganders I'm getting are molting right now, so they look pretty rough, and the girls are still young...fully-feathered, but not too spectacular looking yet). What are they like personality-wise? [​IMG]

Oh - and how does one pronounce Sebastopol? I don't want to sound like a moron while I'm talking to the breeder tomorrow! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2010
  2. crazy goose lover

crazy goose lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Athens Illinois
    They are total sweethearts. Very docile. You will love geese. They have such comic personalities. They may be scared of your other animals. Mine are big whimps. In the morning when first let out,mine run on their tiptoes, wings spread honking their heads off. Always brings a smile to my face. They want the world to know they have arrived. Other than that they are normally very quiet except when they want sombody they knows attention. They have a long memory of anyone who has ever fed them. My friends 8 year old says that my geese give him the think face, when they tip their head to get a better look at him. Mine love fresh tomatoes out of the garden. My neighbors come to the fence to feed and talk to them all the time. They like to get on top of my compost pile because it is the highest spot in the yard. It is all short vowels except the last o. You can just call them sebbies and the breeder will think your an old hand. Good luck and post pictures.

3. Sweetfolly

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Thanks! [​IMG]

Headed off to go see them/get them now! [​IMG]

4. Jenifer Kraus

Jenifer Kraus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    They really are a pleasure to have. I have a trio of American buff and Lavender and they act just like that to. Only time they get very hissy is during breeding season , but that is over for right now. Enjoy getting to know you new people .

5. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I got my first Sebbie 3 mos ago. Leilani was 2 days old. She is a total baby still. She is sweet, docile and spoiled rotten!

6. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    Quote:But the best life guard ever!
    [​IMG]

7. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    Quote:Yay! Annarie!
    Pictures please, as soon as possible.
    Oh, I wanna know everything.

Beth

8. Jenifer Kraus

Jenifer Kraus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Please do post pictures. Mine are moulting right now but we can look at the before and after their done moulting. Such an exciting time getting new creatures.

9. Sweetfolly

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Okay - I just got home with them. The boys are gorgeous! One of the girls has some pretty bad angel wing going on - I'm not sure if I'll be able to fix it, but the lady only wanted $10 for her, and the girls are still quite young, so I'll wrap it and see.

I have another 3 hour trip to go make right now to pick up some new Call duck pens, but here's a quick picture of the boys - I'll get back on later tonight and add some more! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2010
  10. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Quote:But the best life guard ever!
    [​IMG]

So true!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by