Tell me about showing (please)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by GBov, Feb 25, 2011.

1. GBov

GBov Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Hi, my kids are getting their 4H chicks in a couple of months so am reading up on showing NOW instead of the day before [​IMG]

They will be showing Silkies and Silver Crested Polish chickens.

Do they have to be kept caged all the time to be show quality or can they go out with the other chickens? And if they have to live in cages, what does one give them to DO with their time?

And is showing fun?

Cheers [​IMG]

2. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    You can get away with keeping them with the rest of the flock for a little longer, but by 6 weeks before the show you might want to separate them. They don't need to be in a show cage at this point, just a holding area where they won't get their feathers/comb picked at, etc. You want to start now to get their feathers in the best condition possible.

About 3 weeks before, put them alone in a dog crate or something like that with a cup of water and feed. You want them to get used to being in a cage, as well as having you around. Take them in and out of the cage every day so they will get used to being handled- there is a proper way to bring them in and out.

I used to worry about them being bored, but they don't really mind once they get used to it - they just stand there and hang out. It's not like they are going to be in there forever...

I'm not sure what the feed recommendation is for silkies, and I know there's a lot of info out there on bathing them.

I think showing is fun, but I imagine it would be more so for kids. I assume they are doing showmanship? That's another thing I know nothing about, but the 4-H folks should be able to help you with that. Good luck!!!

Here's my story of my 1st show, if you want to read. http://solspoultry.weebly.com/poultry-show-diary.html

Here are two of my favorite sites for showing information:

http://www.fowlvisions.com/?p=1248 and http://www.pathfindersfarm.com/Articles.html

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  3. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Quote:Good thread...4-h is in full swing [​IMG] Question....can you trim a roos spurs if you show him?

4. tandersphoenix

tandersphoenix Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 25, 2011
    I separate the roosters from the hens when the roosters start bothering them. I have judged a lot of 4-H shows and have shown myself for 29 years and I hate to see kids bring in their birds who have obviously had them free ranging outside because they are sun faded and brassy and have no feathers on their head from the rooster topping them. So my advice for them to be in good shape is to keep roosters and hens separate and keep them from prolonged periods in the sun. Also "Show Quality" is in the genetics but if the birds are well kept the kids can do pretty good in the 4-H shows because many people won't take the time to condition them..

5. GBov

Apr 3, 2009
    We are really enjoying - and learning! - from all your lovely answers. We havnt got the chicks yet, they are due first week of April so the kids are getting rather excited.

Do roosters or hens do better at shows? I know roos look so dramatic!

And yes, they are doing showmanship [​IMG]

I asked about the outside as a friend gave my daughter a silky rooster who had been in a coop all its life and it looks SO MUCH BETTER now he gets to run with the laying flock that free range during the day time at the club. All soft and clean with shine on his wing feathers. He is just a mongrel blue silkie and ugly as sin but is just so much happier and cleaner and nicer looking now.

Hadnt thought about the sun though, being down here in Florida they would indeed get sun faded!

6. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Quote:Just from observation, it seems like hens do better. I think it's because they are not as complicated as far as things that need to be on point, like the length and condition of sickles, how far the saddle feathers drop, comb condition etc. But roosters are dramatic, like you said. And really, it's fun for the spectators, to see showy roosters.

Do you subscribe to the Poultry Press? It's a news letter that has photos and info from the shows across the country. http://www.poultrypress.com/images/

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  7. tandersphoenix

tandersphoenix Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 25, 2011
    There is also a FREE online magazine a lot like Poultry Press that I am really starting to like. http://www.exhibitionpoultry.net/ But just like the Poultry Press you can see what is winning!

8. GBov

Apr 3, 2009
    Thank you all so much for the help. We are really looking forward to this fall [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by