Tell me about this horse...A Paint?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by 2468Chickensrgr8, Apr 21, 2009.

1. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    I have this 7/8 yr old paint gelding for a week trial period....
    wondering if all you horse people can tell me what kind of paint do you think he is and if he looks like he's a cross....I dont have any information on his past....So far he's working out....[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks

2. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    He sure is beautiful! Sorry I can't tell you "what kind" of paint - I guess I thought "paint" just referred to the markings. I know mustangs come with paint markings. I'm sure someone else knows more...How will you "use" him? Mostly pleasure, or will he be working? Have fun!

3. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    I just love him....I cannot wait for the vet check Thursday morning.. [​IMG] we bought him for me so I can do trails with my husband and daughter on their girls.and the neighbours ..plus he's young enough that my daughter can work with him....I think by this summer she'll know what discipline she likes. I plan on taking him to a John Lyons certified coach for a riders clinic she puts on in the fall.......He's about 15.2 hh

4. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

A pic of his butt would help but he looks pretty Quarter Horsie to me. The head has something a little off about it that I can't quite put my finger on but that could be just me or it could be something different in his bloodline.

5. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Those Lyons clinics are amazing - I've watched most of the videos, but couldn't afford to go when he was in town. My mustang mare hasn't seen the videos - she doesn't seem to believe me. I guess I'll need to run the TV out to the pasture so she can see how it's SUPPOSED to be done (and work)!

6. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    He is definitely a chestnut tobiano pinto. A pinto is any horse with large white markings. A Paint is a breed... he may also be a Paint, but if you don't have papers on him, you can technically only call him a pinto.

(He looks Paint *type* to me... not one to sweep away the halter classes, but I've seen uglier registered Paints)

If you like him, that's the most important thing! A good horse is never a bad color, and you can't ride registration papers.

ETA - if he's crossed with anything, my guess would be a QH, mustang or TB... most likely just QH

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  7. farmerlor

Oh, and he's a very nice looking paint. Love the coloring and he hope he works out well for you.

8. farmerlor

Oh, and he's a tobi!

9. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Looks like a paint to me...Definatly NOT a Quarter horse though.

10. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    He looks pure paint to me. Not a fancy one. but there isn't anything about him that looks like a different breed. Yeah, his head is a tad plain, and his forearms are not all muscley and curvey, but he looks like a good, representative of probably what 80% of the APHA registered horses look like. I have been inolved with paints for twenty some odd years and seen a lot that look just like him, and a whole lot that looked worse, some that looked prettier but were hard to keep sound and were high strung and dingy. He looks like a good one to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by