1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Tell me about your Australian Shepherd

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Souperchicken, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Souperchicken

Souperchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    USA- Southwest
    I'm thinking about their energy level? Is it off the charts?
    We've have had Labs that are across the spectrum. My husband has a Lab that is off the charts energetic and didn't make a good family dog, but we have another lab that is calmer and lower energy and perfect for family hikes etc. They were both raised the same way with the same discipline/teaching and are like night and day. One is calm, one OCD when it comes to high energy! The kids couldn't even be around him because he is totally hyper.
    Is it the same with Australian shepherds is there a large spectrum for how energetic they get? Does it just depend on the personality? We are thinking of getting one but I keep reading that they have "high" energy, but I'm not sure exactly how high that really is. I don't want to get a dog that all it can think about it is hunting/herding.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  2. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:Most of them will naturally herd anything they can. They like to be behind people instead of in front of them. Mine are fine if they can follow visitors into the house, but do not like people getting down in their faces. I would plan on an active dog. But, mine have all been on the lazy side. Be prepared to have a shadow following you even if you are just doing dishes. They can required more obedience work than the labs that you are used to. Their goal in life is to herd and protect. I have found one round of obedience classes is not enough for the Aussie and I had to really work to get a consistent recall, as their minds go.....oh look at that...I'm going to see what it is.

3. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    Quote:it depends on the dog,,just like any other breed or even people,,some are strung out and some are not..my guy is very OCD as far as me,,he has to know where I am at every minute,,he is a very good herding dog,tho hasnt officialy worked in 5 years..he loves to run with when we ride horse,,sometimes 20 miles a day,,but he is well enough trained that he will lay down when I tell him to,,he isnt hyper,,now my friend has one that is a nut case,,but she is a heck of a working dog and thats what he needs..if you want a calmer one try talking to show conformation line people instead of working lines,,many times they are much more laid back.

4. brownlikewoah

brownlikewoah Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    seattle
    my aussie is very high energy... he is 7 years old, and I have to throw the ball for him, EVERY day for at least an hour straight for him to not be completely neurotic, and even with that exercise he is no where near content... he could be out working all day. I'd say there are two types of aussies... the more working type, bred for herding and working all day, a little smaller, and less hairy. Then there is the more AKC type of aussie, more hair, larger size, less energetic, but still active.

5. g&h farm

g&h farm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2011
    Brooksville, Fl
    I absolutly looove Aussies. I will always own one. I wouldnt say they are too high energy. Pocket dogs for sure but VERY smart and I have always found the males easier to train than the females. The girls can be a little shy they have differant personalities. They also seam to be more clingy. The males tend to love to please. Definatly socialize! I cant stress that enough. But theyare amazing dogs for sure. Good Luck

6. Souperchicken

Jan 18, 2009
    USA- Southwest
    Thank you for the replies! We are meeting one tomorrow - tri colored male! I talked to the breeder about energy level and she said her line is not intense like some of them can be.
    We had the most intense lab....and just don't want to go there again.

7. naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2011
    Quote:We have two, Aussie and Copper. These two are really no more energetic than other breeds we have had. As a matter of fact, Aussie the one in my avatar is more of a couch potatoe. But we also have a really large fenced yard also, so they do get energy out. So, I would suggest a large fenced area because on average they are a very high energy breed. We just lucked up I guess and ended up a couple of the calmer ones. They are also the quickest learning breed I have ever been around. Even the real high energy ones I have seen, have been a controlled energy.

8. Souperchicken

Jan 18, 2009
    USA- Southwest
    We love the puppy! [​IMG] We met him early this morning and brought him home. He is the most docile pup I've ever had(we've had husky/shepherd mix and energetic labs, and chihuahua/poodle cross).....I am sooo happy with him. He follows my daughter around, sits and is calm. My husband and I keep looking at each other thinking how different he is from other pups we've raised- unbelievable. Thanks for all your input!

9. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Where are the pics??? We Aussie owners need a pix fix, immediately! [​IMG]

Congratulations on your new addition. Aussies are great dogs for the right family.

10. Souperchicken

Jan 18, 2009
    USA- Southwest
    My camera is lost, so I took some with my phone this afternoon. He doesn't have a name yet...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by