Tell me about your Australorps!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Lucy4, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Lucy4

Lucy4 Chillin' With My Peeps

I think I just convinced my hubby to get two for the spring. [​IMG] (We presently have 2 EE and 2 BO. He thought we were done, lol.) After asking on BYC for the best breed in terms of 1) friendliness/good with kids 2) good layers and 3) cold hardiness, I took all the breeds suggested and did some research. I think the australorp is our bird! Also, loooove the fact that someone said they're a quieter breed, since we have one neighbor who's a big pain. Pics, info, anything you want to share? I'm psyched!

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I have 7 of them and love them. They are quiet, great layers, friendly, easily handled and good foragers. And they are beautiful. The green sheen they have to their feathers is stunning. They handle confinement well too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is one of my aussie's babies (my roo is an EE)....see the green sheen on his wing area? The aussie is all over like that.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I love mine. Very docile breed and good layers. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I had one for most of a year and she was great! Still is great but now I have a few more. They are okay but not as nice as the first one.
    "Aussie" is so rotten that she runs up to you and begs to be picked up. I have to kiss her little wattles and cheeks and tell her how wonderful she is every day or she will eventually trip me up. She is the size of a bantam for some reason but has the best personality of all the 300+ chickens on my farm. I wish the others were exactly like her.

5. Julie_A

Julie_A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    I babysat my grandpa's for two weeks and LOVED them! He has since decided to sell all his RIRs and BRs and only have the Australorps. I love their coloring, beautiful onyx-black eyes. They laid well when they were here. Good personalities. I have 40 eggs in the incubator for him now and ready to load 'er back up Wednesday after these hatch. We LOVE australorps!

6. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I have one, and she is an absolute doll. The feathers are beautiful with the green sheen, and their faces are so cute with the little black eyelashes. She is quiet, and gets along with everyone, and is funny, too. She got her name. . . Zippy, because she puts her head down and just zips around---running at full tilt, seemingly just for her own enjoyment. Oh, and she's a great layer, as well.

7. LauraP

LauraP Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    High Rock Lake, NC
    I have three australorps, and I love them! [​IMG]

I can't compare to any others, because I've never had any others, but these three girls are friendly and quiet (except sometimes when one is laying an egg another will squawk about it a bit). They are pretty, soft, and good layers so far. They only started laying just before it got cold, but we still get 2 eggs a day out of the 3 hens, even though it's freezing out now. I can't imagine what else you could ask for from a chicken! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last October- Ethel about to lay her first egg (right in front of the nesting box!

[​IMG]
    Last July- as teenagers!

[​IMG]
    Last April, as babies!

I'm a proud mama! [​IMG]

8. Farmer Benjii

Farmer Benjii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    Vic, AUS
    We bought 6 araucanas off a lady, one was a rooster and another one was an australorp and the australorp was the the first to set on eggs ( about 36 [​IMG] ) so the 3 that hatched out were mutts, EE's i think thats how it works...... and they're beautiful! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I have 3 BA hens, and they are some of my favorites. They are very easy to handle, and kind of sweet. I have no light in the coop, yet they still lay every other day so far.

10. Lucy4

Lucy4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oo, it's making even more excited!! And the pics of them are so beautiful. Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by