Tell me about your Barred Plymouth Rocks!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Emilys3guppies, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Emilys3guppies

Emilys3guppies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    Toronto
    I'm looking to expand from house chickens (serama) to outdoor chickens. LOL.

I want something that will be a good egg-layer and not likely to go broody...I've heard great things about BRs. Anyone have the bantam variety? Are they a breed that will do well in a Canadian winter? And will they adapt to being a backyard chicken instead of free-run farm chooks?

Pics? They're adorable...and I've just fallen in love with Barbara, so I'd love to hear more experiences about this breed.

Thanks!
    Emily

2. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    [​IMG] My girl Lilith.

I love my BRs. Friendly, curious and (hopefully) good layers. Mine are 21 weeks now but from my prior childhood experience with them they were great family flock chickens. Very kid friendly and non-broody.
    We are in NC so winters are not an issue. They do have bigger combs though....maybe Dominiques would be better suited to your climate? I hear they are great birds, too.

3. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I love my two barred rock girls. They seem to be near the top of the pecking order in my free-range flock, but they're sweet and friendly with me. They're always fast to come running for treats, second only to my piggish white leghorn LOL. They are first to eat out of my hand, and I love their big, beautiful bossiness.

They are good layers, and seem to be pretty hardy. One of them did go broody last spring, but she's never shown signs of trying for a family again. She hatched me 8 silkie babies out of 12 shipped eggs, so she did a good job. I didn't let her raise them, though, because I wanted them to be MY babies, not HERS!

I love my barred rocks, and if I had to have a flock of just one breed, they are one I'd definitely consider.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by